0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Saturday, January 24, 2015
Sorakaya is also known as lauki ,laau , dudhi ghiya , aal ,anapakaya, dudhi-Bhopala and Bottle gourd.
With Bottle gourd we can make curries,chutnies and can be used in sambar also. We can also make yummy sweets.
Bottle gourd is rich in fiber and essential minerals, iron and protein. Since it is low in calories, bottle gourd can be used in low calorie diets.
Sorakaya/ Bottle Gourd pieces-1cup
Green chillies-2 chopped or paste
Curd/Yogurt-2cups(I used Home made Curd)
Coriander leaves- fewhandfuls
Coconut - 2 tbsps (grated)
Salt to taste
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder- a pinch
1) Wash the bottle gourd. Peel it , and cut into small pieces (1 inch) by removing all their seeds inside to it.
2) In a vessel add the chopped bottle gourd,2 cups of water and boil until they becomes tender or You can also cook it for 2whistles in the pressure cooker.Turn off the flame and allow the pressure to release by itself.
3) Drain the water and keep it aside.
4)Now beat the Yogurt/curd with the help of a spoon and form a thick liquid form and keep it aside.
5) Wash, clean green chilies and grind them to a coarse paste.
6) Cut coconut into small pieces and grind it or grate the coconut and keep it aside.
7) Add this grated coconut and green chillies paste to curd and mix.
8) Add salt to the curd mixture and mix well.
9) Wash coriander and chop it finely and keep it aside.
10) Take a kadai or pan .Heat oil in pan.
11) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds,when they starts crackle add the urad dal , curry leaves,red chillies ,hing and roast them for a minute.At last add turmeric powder and switch off the stove.,
12) Add these seasoning to the curd and mix well.
13) Add cooked Sorakaya /Bottle gourd pieces a to the curd and mix them well.
14) Adjust salt and Garnish with Coriander leaves.
15) Serve it with Roti or Rice.
2 comments Posted by Sireesha at Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Makar Sankranti is celebrated to mark the journey of the sun from Dakshinayana to Uttarayana. All across the country this festival is celebrated with much joy and great fanfare, though the style and rituals differs slightly from state to state.
Wishing You all a Very Happy and Prosperous Makar Sankranti and Pongal !!!
Celebrate Makar Sankranti along with some delicious and yummy food. Try out our easy recipes for Makar Sankranti and Pongal !!!
Click on the Names for detailed Recipes :-
|Til Laddu / Nuvullu Undallu||Til Vadi / Sesame Seeds Squares||Til Gul Poli|
|Adhirasam /Ariselu (Athirasam)||Bellam Parmannam||Chakra Pongali / Sweet Pongal|
|Sakhar Bhaat /Sweetened Rice||Katte Pongali /Pongal||Coconut Rice /Kobbari Annam|
|Pulihora||Vadai /Medu Vada/ Vada|
|Rava Payasam||Wheat Flour Halwa||Rava Kesari|
|Masala Vada||Rava Pulihora||Mamidikaya (Mango) Rava Pulihora|
|Mixed Vegetable Pakoras||Semiya Kesari||Kobbari Bobbatlu | Coconut Pancakes|
Coconut rice is a typical South Indian dish that is very easy and fast to cook . Cooked rice with grated coconut and some spices makes taste of this dish Heavenly.
2 cups rice (cooked such that grains are separated )
2 cups freshly grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp channa dal /Bengal gram
1 tbsp urad dal /split black gram
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 leaf curry leaves
2 green chillies ( slited)
4 Dry red chillies
1/ 4tsp hing / asafoetida
1/2 cup cashewnuts
salt to taste
1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1) First cook the rice .Each Grain should be separate. I used the proportion Rice: Water as 1:2
2) Heat ghee in a pan or non stick pan.Add mustard seeds ,cumin seeds and saute till they crackle.Now add the channna dal / bengal gram,urad dal /split black gram ,Red chillies,green chillies, curry leaves cashew nuts and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes,while stirring continously.
3) Then add the freshly grated coconut and salt.Gently stir.Mix well.
4) Then add the cooked rice and fry for 2-3 minutes ..Stir well and adjust the salt if required and switch off the stove..
5) Serve hot with any roasts or gravy curry.
While cooking rice add a teaspoon of oil so that grains are separated.
You can use Coconut milk also to prepare coconut rice.
You can use coconut powder plus water as a substitute to freshly grated coconut.
0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Saturday, December 27, 2014
Semiya Kesari is a very easy kesari recipe made with vermicelli .It is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious. Its perfect to make when sudden guests visits us . It needs very little ghee unlike other kesari recipes. Its perfect to make on festive occasions.
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
Semiya / Vermicelli - 2 cups loosely packed
Water - 3 cups
Melted Ghee - 6 tsps
Sugar - 1 cup
Cashew nuts - 8 (chopped)
Cardamom powder - a tiny pinch
Saffron - 7-8 strands(optional)
Orange food color - a tiny pinch
1) Heat a tsp of ghee in a non pan and roast Semiya /Vermicelli till golden color on a medium flame. Keep it aside.
2) In same pan add 1/2 tsp of ghee and roast the chopped cashew nuts till golden brown. Keep it aside.
3) Now boil water in a Non stick pan, when it boils add the semiya /Vermicelli and cooked till soft and all the moisture is absorbed.
4) When the Semiya /vermicelli is cooked then add sugar . Mix well.
5) Now it will start to loosen up.Keep stirring continuously until it is thick.Then add food color and saffron and mix well.
6) Add Ghee.Mix well.Once it starts to get thick and starts to leave the sides of the pan add cardamom powder,cashewnuts and mix well. Switch off the stove.
Serve Hot or Warm
1) I used fine Bambino vermicelli so needed only 1 and 1/2 cups of water for a cup of vermicelli.Water quantity may vary depending on the variety of vermicelli.
2) Roast Vermicelli /Semiya well so it gives nice aroma and its non sticky and will avoid mushiness while getting cooked.
3) Always ensure that the semiya will get cooked properly.
4) Do not add sugar before the semiya gets cooked properly else the kesari will turn rubbery.
5 This keeps well for 3 days if refrigerated .While serving just heat it up and drizzle little ghee and serve hot or warm.