0 comments Posted by ST at Tuesday, November 15, 2016
This Gobi Matar is a semi dry curry.Every time I make gobi matar ,I try to make it in a different way so I am sure there will be 2-3 versions of this recipe on my blog in the coming years.In fact you can even modify this recipe by just adding in whatever you have on hands.It is very easy to make and tastes delicious .
Recipe Cuisine : Indian
Category : Main Course : Sabzi / Curry
Prep Time : 20 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Serve : 3-4
Cauliflower / Gobi -1 medium
Green peas / Matar -1 cup (fresh or frozen)
Onions finely chopped -2 medium
Tomatoes - 4 small sized tomatoes (pureed)
Ginger Garlic paste -2 tsps
Green Chilles - 3 paste (Adjust according to spice level)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder -1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Fennel seeds / Saunf - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1) Chop or break the cauliflower into small florets.
2) Rinse and blanch them in hot salted water for 10-15 mins . Drain and keep it aside.
3) Cook the peas in water first if they are not frozen till they are cooked. Drain and Keep it aside.
4) Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cinnamon and fennel seeds.
5) Then add finely chopped onions and saute till onions turn golden brown in color.
6) Add tomatoes puree and cook on low heat.
7) Then add ginger garlic paste and chilli paste .
8) Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala powder ,coriander powder and mix well.
9) you will see the oil releasing from sides then add the blanched cauliflower / gobi and cook.
10) Add water and mix well.
11) Cover the pan and cook till the gobi is cooked .Stir in between once or twice to make sure that it is not burning or sticking to the pan.If it dries out too much then add more water and cook.
12) Once cauliflower is almost cooked add the cooked green peas or frozen green peas / Matar.
13) Cover and cook for another 5-7 mins on allow flame till peas and cauliflower are cooked well.
14) Mix well and cook without cover for 2-3 minutes till all the water is absorbed and you have thick gravy means it is semi dry.
15) Now turn off the stove and garnish with chopped coriander and mix well.Keep it covered till you serve.
Gobi Matar Sabzi / Cauliflower Peas Curry is ready to serve.
Serving Suggestions :- Serve hot with rotis ,chapatis, phulkas , parathas or with dal rice ,Jeera Rice etc.
0 comments Posted by ST at Saturday, November 12, 2016
Here goes yet another famous Indian dessert Fruit Kesari . It is prepared with rava ( sooji or semolina), ghee, sugar ,fruits and dry fruits. It is the easiest sweet recipe that can be prepared in few minutes. Also this sweet makes a quick fix dessert when you have surprise guests at home. Try this fail proof recipe and enjoy its lip smacking taste.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Sweets and Deserts
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 6
Rava / sooji / semolina - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups (adjust according to your taste)
Ghee - 6 tbsps or 2 tbsps of ghee + 2 tbsps oil
Apple, chopped finely - 1/2 cup
Banana chopped - 1/2 cup
Cashewnuts / Kaju - 8 to 10
Raisins / Kishmish - 8 (Optional)
Cardamom powder / Elaichi powder - a pinch
Orange food color - a pinch
Saffron strands (Kesar) to garnish (optional)
Water - 3 cups
1) First rinse ,peel and chop apple , banana etc. You can use your choice of fruits. (Mango ,chikoo,pears ,grapes ,pineapple).
2) Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in pan or kadai.
3) Add Rava or sooji and roast it.
4) Roast the rava well stirring oftenly on a low flame so that rava dosen't burn.
5) Roast rava for 5-7 minutes till it becomes crisp on low flame. Switch off the flame.
6) Remove rava in a plate and keep it aside.
7) Heat 4 tbsps of ghee in same pan .
8) Add cashews and fry till golden then remove with slotted spoon drain and Keep it aside.
9) Then add Chopped mixed fruits. Stir Well.
10) Saute the fruits on a low flame for 4-5 minutes.
11) Add cardamom powder and stir well.
12) Now add sugar .You can add sugar as per your taste. Mix well.
13) Add 2.5 cups of water. Stir well. Add few drops or a pinch of orange colour .
15) Add fried cashews and raisins. Keep some for garnish.
17) Quickly stir and mix well so that the lumps should not be formed in the kesari.
18) Mix well until it gets thick in consistency.
19) Cook covered till all the moisture is absorbed.
20) Do stir at intervals. The rava will soften up.Keep mixing until the kesari starts leaving its sides and transfer to the serving bowl.
21) Once the kesari thickens , turn off the flame, cover and set aside for a while. ( Take care the kesari thickens on cooling).
21) Garnish with saffron strands ,cashews, raisins .
Fruit Kesari is ready to be served.Tastes really great with the fruits and nuts giving it a great lip smacking taste! Enjoy warm or hot.
1) You can use various fruits like pear,grapes ,papaya ,chikoo ,mango ,orange etc any desired/available fruits of your choice.
2) For one cup rava, one to one and half cups of fruit pieces can be used.
0 comments Posted by ST at Sunday, September 25, 2016
Groundnut / Peanut Ladoo is made with groundnuts and jaggery as main ingredients.It is very easy to make, tastes delicious and healthy too.Groundnuts are high in protein and jaggery is rich in Iron so these ladoos are energy booster ,nourishing and healthy.No ghee is needed to prepare these ladoos.Kids will love it as it is soft .My daughter loves this peanut ladoo very much.This can be packed for kids snackbox too.
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes:15
Recipe Category: Sweets / Desserts | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Raw Peanuts / Groundnuts/ Shengdana - 1 cup
Powdered Jaggery - 3/4 cup adjust according to taste
Cardamom powder - a generous pinch
1) Dry roast the groundnuts till nicely browned and the outer skin start to come out.
2) When it cool down little bit rub the groundnuts with your hands and blow away the skin .But I don't prefer to remove the skin of groundnuts.
3) Grate or powder the jaggery and keep it aside.
4) Now put the groundnuts in a mixer and give a quick grind as fine as possible.It will be slightly coarse only.
5) Then add the powdered jaggery to groundnuts powder. All together grind this mixture in a mixie till they are well combined.
6) When you grind this mixture in a mixie ,oil from groundnuts oozes out and helps in binding a ladoo .
7) Transfer this mixture to a bowl, add cardamom powder .Mix well and break the lumps formed.
8) Shape them into small balls.No need to grease at all, as the oil in groundnuts is just enough to hold together.
9) Groundnut Ladoos are ready .Store in an airtight container.
Sweetness is just perfect but if you want more then add 1 cup of jaggery.
If it hardens in the end for the last few balls then heat up the mixture for a minute, jaggery will melt then you can make balls or again grind for a minute in a mixie then you can make ladoos.
0 comments Posted by ST at Friday, September 23, 2016
Arbi is an edible variety of tuber well known in India. It is known with different names like Colocasia, Taro root ,chamagadda ,Seppankizhangu ,alu and even Elephant ears.
There are some families , who consume arbi during fasting or as fasting food. It depends upon family tradition and rules.We usually make this as a snacks or starter or appetizer.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Category: Snack /Appetizer
Arbi / Cococasia roots /Arum - 250 gm
Oil for deep frying
Rock Salt/ Sendha namak to taste
Black pepper powder to taste
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Dry mango powder/Amchur powder - ¼ tsp
1) First rinse and clean arbi very well.
2) In a pressure cooker boil the arbi with enough water until one whistle on medium heat. We want the arbi to be bit under cooked, as the overcooked arbi is mushy, soft and sticky. OR In microwave, it should take only 4-5 minutes.
3)Drain the water .Once cool to touch, peel the skip and discard.
4) Make the slices of peeled arbi. Make sure that slices are not too thin or not too thick.
5) Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan for deep frying. Once oil is hot, carefully add the arbi slices.
6) Fry them on medium flame.Once it gets golden brown and crispy from one side, flip them and cook another side.
7) Once it is crispy and nicely golden brown from both the sides, remove them .
8) Remove them on the paper towel to absorb excess oil.
9) Now add another batch for frying.While the chips from first batch which are still warm sprinkle the spice powders on them. Sprinkle rock salt or sendha namak, pepper or red chili powder, amchur and roasted cumin powder. For the perfect taste, and spices to stick the chips ,the spice powders should be sprinkled while the chips are hot or warm.
10) Serve the fried arbi warm. As it cools it lose its crispness.
11) Serve as snack or starter or appetizer during fasting or any time of the day.
12) You can have these chips just as it is or with vrat wali green chutney.
You can substitute dry mango power / amchur powder with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Just drizzle it all over after sprinkling other spice powders.
If you don’t want to deep fry the arbi, you can even shallow fry them which would yield less crispy but nevertheless tasty.
If you don't use red chilli powder for fasting then increase the quantity of black pepper powder.
0 comments Posted by ST at Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Betel leaf / Paan / Tavan Pakkulu is very good for treating cold and cough .The best way to use betel leaf for treating cold is by making a kashayam with it. Any herbal extract that is used for treating illness is called kashayam .Betel leaf kashayam is simple to make and gives very good relief from chest congestion ,cold and cough.
Betel Leaves /Paan / Tavan Paaku -2 fresh
Tulasi leaves - 8 (Optional)
Black Pepper - 5 crushed
cloves -2 crushed
Cardamom - 1 crushed
Water - 3 cups
Honey / Palm candy / Black Jaggery for sweetness (Optional)
Wash both tulsi and betel leaves properly.
Tear the betel leaves into small pieces.
In a vessel , add 3 cups of water and add the betel leaves, tulsi leaves , ,crushed black pepper, cloves, cardamom .
Let the water boil until the content reduces to half.
Add the jaggery or palm candy if you want sweetness.
Filter and serve hot.
This kashayam gives a better relief for persons suffering from cold ,cough and all respiratory infections .
For children, small quantity must be given.
Precautions to use these leaves:
1) People suffering from acidity, stomach ulcers, migraines, urticaria, tuberculosis, epilepsy, and other psychological disorders should never use these leaves.
2) Once prepared Kashayam can be kept only for a period of 12 – 15 hours.
Re-heating of this kashayam is not advised.
Sandwiches are fulfilling,tasty,healthy ,tempting and easy to make.These are very common and very popular street food. They are a simple pair of bread slices with an imaginative filling of your choice !!!Here I have Veg chutney sandwich with addition of some vegetables to it .what adds spice to the veg chutney sandwich is the spicy green chutney, and chaat masala. You can also pack sandwiches for tiffin box or for a short picnics.
Bread slices – 10-12 (white or brown bread)
Finely chopped cucumber – 1
Finely chopped onion – 1 (medium)
Finely chopped Tomato -1 (medium)
Butter – 2-3 tbsp or as needed (softened at room temperature)
Chaat masala as required
Roasted Cumin Powder as required (optional)
Black salt to taste( optional)
Tomato Ketchup or sauce as required
For Green ( mint cilantro) chutney:
Chopped Coriander leaves - 1 Cup
Chopped Mint leaves - 2 Cups
Green chillies - 5-6
Ginger - 1/4 inch
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Water -2 -3 tbsp
For Green Chutney
1. First Pluck ,wash and then chop coriander and mint.
2. Combine all the ingredients except lemon jice and grind to a smooth paste in a blender using very little water.
3. Then add lemon juice . Mix well.
4. Refrigerate and use as required.
Assembling the Bombay sandwich:
1) Trim the slices of the bread(optional)
2) Keep the green chutney ready The chutney should not be watery, otherwise if will soften up the bread.
3) Evenly spread the green chutney on one slice of bread.
4) Then Evenly spread tomato sauce on another slice of bread.
5) Top up with chopped cucumber ,tomato and onion on one slice.
6) Sprinkle the black salt and chaat masala on them .
7) Cover it with other slice of bread.
8) Spread the butter on either side of the bread.
9) Toast it on tawa or griddle or sandwich maker.
10) Cut it according to your choice, serve it hot with tomato ketchup.
11) Repeat the process for remaining bread slices.
Yummmmmy Bombay Sandwiches are ready !!!!
The Green chutney can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge. This chutney is multi purpose. you can add it to your sandwiches or have it with your pakoras or chaat.
You could add some sweet tamarind chutney also. It lends a unique flavor to the sandwiches.
Skip the butter for a Vegan sandwich
A cheese sandwich is a popular and basic sandwich made generally with one or more slices of cheese on a bread.Cheese sandwiches are easy ,tasty and quick to make. Especially good for morning hours when you are running short of time. You can also pack sandwiches for tiffin box or for a short picnic.These are Kids Friendly Sandwiches.
It may also be combined with lettuce, tomato, onions,peppers ,pickles and condiments such as mustard ,Honey mustard or mayonnaise .A cheese sandwich can be made in a variety of ways, depending on your preferences.
Common methods include grilling, cooked on a griddle, pan frying, or made in sandwich maker.
2 Slices Bread
1 Slice Cheese
1 tbsp Butter
Pan for frying
Preheat griddle or pan over medium heat. Smear butter first on one side of a slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down on the pan and place 1 slice of cheese on it. Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich. Fry until lightly browned and flip over; continue frying until cheese is melted.
YUMMMM delicious Cheese Sandwich is ready.
0 comments Posted by ST at Monday, September 12, 2016
Ganesh Chaturthi is the time to make varieties of Modak like Mawa Modak , Chocolate Modak , ,Motichoor ladoo modak ,Ukadihe Modak ,Dry Fruits Modak ,Malai modak etc.....
Khoya Modak / Pedha Modak is one of the easy modak recipes that you can try for this Ganesh Chaturthi 2016.This is a quick modak recipe and comes handy if you don’t have much time. These mawa modaks can also be served as offering to Lord Ganesha. Your family and mainly kids will love these Pedha modaks as they are rich and delicious.
2 cups crumbled Khoya (mawa)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped pistachios
1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
a few strands of saffron (kesar) strands
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp ghee/butter for greasing modak moulds
1) Combine the mava /Khoya and sugar in a broad non-stick pan.
2) Switch on the flame and cook the mava mixture on medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
3) Then cook on low heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves completely and the khoya starts to melt.
4) Soon the mawa / Khoya mixture will start releasing fat.
5) Once the mixture starts bubbling, then sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of cardamom (elaichi) powder.
6) The mixture will start thickening, continuously keep stirring.
7) Keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan.
8) Immediately transfer the mixture in thali or plate
9) Do not overcook as then the modaks will turn out dense.
10) Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
11) Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
12) Crumble the mava with your finger tips, add the chopped pistachios, and saffron-milk mixture, mix well.
13) Grease the modak moulds with a bit of butter or ghee . Place aside.
14) Make small balls from the mixture.
15) Take a small ball of mava mixture, place it in modak mould and press the mawa ball with your fingers so that it gets the shape of mould.
16) Gently unmould and remove the excess modak mixture from the edges of the modak.
17) Place the modaks over a greased plate/ thali.
18) Repeat the same with the rest of mixture
Mawa Modaks / Pedha Modaks are ready to offer lord ganesha as prasad.
These modaks stay fresh for 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
Do not overcook mawa mixture as the modaks will turn out dense
Veg kohlapuri is special and traditional mix veg sabzi / curry. This is very popular dish from Kolhapur city which is situated in Maharashtra. This is prepared in thick spicy gravy with loads of vegetables
This Kolhapuri masala is very useful so making it in a large batch and keeping it handy is a good idea.
It is accompanied by a chapati , roti, paratha, naan or kulcha .This Popular dish is traditionally spicy but u can adjust the heat to ur taste buds....Its one of my families favorite dish....
2 large onions chopped
8 florets cauliflower
2 large tomatoes chopped
1 potato boiled and chopped
1 capsicum chopped
1 carrot boiled and chopped
6-8 French beans
1 /4 cup peas boiled
1 inch ginger
6 cloves garlic
2 tsp Red chill powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
4 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. Kolhapuri Masala
2 tbsp cashew nuts fried
1 inch stick cinnamon
2 Black Cardamoms
1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
salt to taste
1 tbsp. coriander leaves chopped
1) Thoroughly wash vegetables and chop in small pieces.
2) Peel, wash carrots and potatoes and cut into half inch sized cubes. String French beans and cut into half inch pieces. Wash and drain green peas.
3) Steam all the vegetables in an electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.The vegetables have to be completely cooked and yet retain their shape.
4) Wash tomatoes and grind it to fine paste.
5) Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
6) Heat two teaspoons of oil in a kadai or pan. Add cloves, cinnamon,cardamom and fennel seeds. Lightly fry. Then grind to a fine powder.
7) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in kadai then add chopped onions and cook till it turns slightly turns pink. Cool, grind to a paste . Keep aside.
8) Heat remaining oil in same kadai or pan. Add ginger and garlic paste ,tomato paste ,onion paste and continue to saute till 2-3 minutes.
9) Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder,kashmiri red chilli powder,salt and half cup of water and cook for three minutes.
12) Add the boiled vegetables, adjust salt and mix well.Simmer and cook covered for four to five minutes.
13) Once gravy starts boiling, add kolhapuri masala, fennel seeds mixture powder and cook for another 4-5 minutes in between stirring continuously.
14) Stir well and Garnish with fried cashews and chopped coriander leaves .
15) Serve hot with chapatis or rotis or pulkas or parathas.
1) This curry should be enough spicy. However, adjust the amount of red chili powder to give required heat.
2) Kashmiri red chili powder gives nice bright red color and flavor to the curry. If its unavailable, use pinch of edible red color.
3) Normal chilli powder is used for spiciness.