0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Whole moong dal is also known as green beans These Green moong dal tadka is very easy
to make .When you are tired of eating everyday dal, make this whole green moong dal. It is very nutritious and healthy , very easy to digest and excellent source of proteins.
Prep time: 40 Minutes
Hara Moong Dal/Green Gram(Bean) - 1 Cup
Tomatoes - 2 Medium
Onion - 1 Large
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 5 (slit)
Juice from one lemon
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 2 tsps
Coriander Seeds Powder / Dhaniya Powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder / Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi - 1 tbsp (crushed)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing - A Pinch
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Water - 3 Cups (or as needed)
Curry Leaves -few
Salt - To Taste
Chopped Coriander/Hara Dhaniya - 2 tbsp
|Green Gram / Whole Moong|
1. Wash and soak moong dal for minimum half an hour . You can also soak it over night.
2. Pressure cook for 4 whistles with 1 1/2 cup water . Once pressure released mash cooked dal slightly.
3. Finely chop onion, tomatoes and coriander .
4. In a Pan /wok heat oil, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add hing , onions and green chillies ,curry leaves and saute for a minute.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook until onion becomes soft or translucent.
6. Add tomato, salt , red chilli powder, coriander seeds powder, turmeric powders and stir well. Cover and cook until tomato gets mashed and oil floats on top. Add crushed kasoori methi and mix everything well.
8. Add garam masala and mix well, cook for a minute, add cooked dal.
9. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cup of water or Add more water if you prefer to have dal thin consistency.
10.Adjust salt if required and bring it to a good boil. Simmer for 2 minutes off flame and garnish with chopped coriander and juice form one lemon.Mix well.
11. Our Hara Moong Dal Tadka is ready add little ghee if preferred.The ghee tadka heightens the flavor of the dish.
Serve it with hot chapatis,phulkas or along with hot steamed rice and some roasted papads and lime or mango pickle also by the side. A truly comfort and satisfying meal..
Smoothies seem to be the perfect summer treat. Kiwi smoothie is an ideal drink for breakfast and also perfect for a hot sunny day. It is refreshing and cool beverage but also a rich source of vitamin C and minerals.
2 cups cubed honeydew melon
2 ripe kiwi, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp Honey / Sugar
1 Cup Ice Cubes
In blender, whirl honeydew, kiwi, lime juice, sweetener and Ice cubes until smoothly blended. .
Pour into Glasses.
Garnish each glass with Kiwi Slice or Honey dew slices.
Honeydew Kiwi Smoothie is ready to enjoy :-)
Chocolate Dosa is very easy and quick to prepare. Kids will love it very much. My Daughter is crazy fan of this Dosa. Its sweet ,crispy and chocolaty so noway kids will fuss over eating this.Make on weekends or as a treat to entertain your kids.It’s a yummy and irresistible dessert and breakfast option for all chocolate lovers.
Dosa batter - 1 Cup
Oil - 4 tsps
Chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce or chocolate bar - 1
You can make a fabulous chocolate sauce with any amount of sweetened dark, semisweet, or bittersweet chocolate you have on hand.All you need is a milk ,cream, water, a pinch of salt, a few drops of vanilla, etc
Ingredients for Chocolate Sauce /Chocolate syrup :
6 ounces dark, semisweet, or bittersweet chocolate (chopped coarsely)
1/2 cup -Heavy cream
1/2 cup -water
2 tbsps -Unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
2-3 drops- Vanilla extract (optional)
Method for making Chocolate Sauce :-
1) In a medium heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat, bring the cream, water, and salt to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Just before it starts to boil, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
2) Add the chocolate , butter, vanilla extract stirring constantly with a spatula . Keep stirring until the chocolate and butter melt and the sauce is perfectly smooth.
3) If the sauce looks too thick then stir in more liquid gradually until the sauce is smooth and has the consistency you are looking for.
4) Adjust the sauce with more liquid as necessary.
5) If the sauce is too bitter then you can mellow it by stirring in a little soft butter or a little sugar.
6) Serve immediately, or reheat when ready to use.
7) The sauce keeps in a covered container in the fridge for several days.
Method for preparing Chocolate Dosa:-
1) Take a non-stick pan and place on medium-high heat. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. Water should sizzle right away.
2) Apply little oil on the pan with half cut onion so that dosa doesn't stick to the pan.
3) Pour a two ladleful of dosa batter and quickly spread into a circle with a back of spoon.Starting from the center, spiral the batter outward evenly to form a circle about 5-7 inch in diameter.
4) Spread one teaspoon of oil around the dosa and leave it for some time to cook about 30 seconds then flip the dosa using a flat spatula.
Sprinkle grated chocolate all over the dosa and cook until chocolate melts.
6) Reduce the heat to medium and cook dosa for few seconds.
7) Once the dosa is cooked, roll the dosa or fold it in half and serve it on a plate drizzled with chocolate syrup.
8) Now chocolate dosa is ready to enjoy :-)
0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Sunday, April 12, 2015
My family is a big pickle fan and off all the pickles they really like lemon pickle a lot .My daughter is crazy for this pickle.This is a very easy recipe with no-oil and no-cooking involve in this pickle and with only 3 ingredients .It's so difficult to resist this tangy, and tongue tickling pickle . Kids will enjoy this pickle very much :-)
Heading towards the recipe of Zero Oil ,no-cooking lemon pickle ...Here
2 Kgs - Lemon
3/4 Kg /2 Cups - Salt
50 gms/ 1/4 Cup - Turmeric Powder
1) Take out a glass or plastic jar that can hold about 1 kilo of pickle. The jar should be completely dry.It is very important.
2) Wash the lemons and wipe them thoroughly. Make sure there is no water on the skin. Let them dry for some time.
3) Cut them into small bite sized cubes.
4) 10 lemons squeeze them and take the juice in a bowl.
5) In a bowl take the cut lemon pieces add salt , turmeric powder and lemon juice which we squeezed and mix all these well.
6) Take them in a clean, dry glass or porcelain jar or plastic jar with tight lid. Keep them tightly covered .Leave them as it is for 15 days.Then open the container and see if pickle is fine.As the pickle gets ready, the lemon pieces get softer.Close the lid again and leave it for about 30 - 45 days.
8) My recipe is prepared with thin skinned, juicy limes and they changed from hard to firmly-soft in a month.
9) Serve and enjoy with curd rice or rice, dal and ghee .
1) Pickling is like making jam. Take extra precaution in using the dry utensils, jars, spoons and your hands. Using the wet or damp things is a sure way to spoil the pickle.
2) Better transfer small quantity in a smaller container which can be used to serve.
0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Friday, April 03, 2015
Amla or Indian gooseberries are rich source of vitamin c & antioxidants. Hence good for treating colds. they are good for digestion too.It is used to make jam, murraba,pickles ,chutney and many more exotics .In winters we made its ready to eat pickle The process of making this gooseberry pickles is not complicated,hence you can make small batches and enjoy with your curd rice or you can even mix it with hot rice , Pappula podi and ghee.It tastes heavenly :)
Amla /Usirikaya /Indian Gooseberry - 1/2 Kg or 20 big sized ones
Tamarind - 125 gms
Red Chilli Powder /Lal Mirch- 125 gms
Mustard seeds /Rai - 4 tsps
Fenugreek Seeds /Methi- 2 tsps
Turmeric Powder /Haldi- 1 tsp
Salt - 135 gms
Asafoetida /Hing -1/2 tsp
Oil - 125 gms
Dry Red Chillies - 8-9
1) Wash goose berries/usirikayalu/amla and wipe them properly with a cotton cloth. See that they are not wet. Place them on a kitchen towel and allow them to dry for at least 20 to 30 min. Put some scars with knife to the amla.
|Indian Gooseberries / Amla /Usurikaya|
3) Dry roast the mustard seeds .Cool them.
4) Grind the cooled, roasted fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds to a fine powder.
5) Soak tamarind for 20 mins then squeeze and make the tamarind pulp.
6) Heat oil in a pan. Add 8-9 red chillies and 1 tsp of mustard seeds and hing . When mustard seeds crackle then add the usirikayalu/amla into it slowly. Cook in a medium flame stirring at intervals for atleast 7-8 mins till amla gets light golden in colour .WHen Amla is half cooked add the tamarind pulp. Cook for another 7-8 mins or till amla gets squeezed. When Press a amla with a ladle and see whether it is cooked properly.Switch of the flame and let it cool.
7) Now press each Usirikaya/amla with the help of a spoon and remove the seed inside.
8) While the oil gets cool , add the asafoetida, mustard powder, fenugreek powder, salt, turmeric, and chilli powder.Mix well.
9) Let the uragai cool completely.
10) Transfer the uragai /pickle to a dry clean glass bottle or air tight glass jar.
11) You can use this usiri avakaya immediately.
12) Serve with Curd Rice or Warm Rice and Ghee ,Sambar rice or dal rice combination.You can also serve this usiri avakaya with upma and dosa also.
13) Once the amla pickle is ready, keep outside or in the fridge. In cold climates, you can keep outside.In a hot and humid climate, keep in the fridge.
14) This Amla Pickle stays for 6 months to a year .
0 comments Posted by Sireesha at Wednesday, March 11, 2015
Ugadi is the New Year's Day for the people of the Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.. The name Ugadi or Yugadi is derived from the Sanskrit words yuga (age) and ādi (beginning): "the beginning of a new age".
This is the time when New Year’s Day is also celebrated in the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka,Maharashtra, Rajasthan,Punjab, Manipur,West Bengal and Assam with different different names.People from all over Andhra and Telangana celebrate this festival with much enthusiasm and gaiety.
For all those who have requested for Ugadi Special recipes, I have complied a list below along with a link to each of the recipes. . Enjoy :)
Traditional Ugadi Recipes
|Ugadi Pachadi||Puran Poli / Bobbatalu||Mamidikaya Pulihora /
|Lemon Rice \ Nimmakaya Pulihora||Pulihora||Vaangi Bhath|
|Coconut Rice \
|Daddojanam /Curd Rice||Navaratna Pulav|
|Mamidikaya(Mango) Rava Pulihora||Nimakaya (Lime) Rava Pulihora||Semiya Pulav|
|Dahi Vada with Zero Oil||Masala Vada||Garelu /Medu Vada|
|Mirchi Bajji||Mix Vegetable Pakora||Mysore Bajii|
Curry /Dal /Sambar /Rasam /Chutney
|Mamidikaya Pappu /
|Drumstick Mango Sambar||Mango Chutney|
|Bagara Baingan /
|Gongura Pachadi /
Sorrel Leaves Chutney
|Dosakaya Palli Pachadi /
Yellow Cucumber Peanut Chutney
|Mango Coconut Chutney||Aloo Fry||Vankaya Nuvullu Kura /
|Nimmakaya (Lime) Rasam||Pineapple Rasam||Thotakura Pachadi /
Amaranth Leaves Chutney
Sweets and Desserts
|Kobbari Bobbatulu||Semiya Sagubiyyam /
Vermicelli sago Payasam
|Bellam Parmannam||Paramannam||Sweet Pongal /
Atukula Payasam /
|Khus Khus Payasam||Carrot Payasam /
|Rava Kesari||ABC Halwa||Wheat Flour Halwa|
|Moong dal Ladoo /
|Rava Besan Ladoo||Besan Burfi|
|Kobbari Undallu /
Coconut Jaggery Ladoo
|Carrot Halwa||Semiya Payasam|