A traditional sweet dish made with Yellow Lentils and rice eaten during the festival Pongal/Sankaranthi. Its easy ,tasty and delicious.
1 cup Raw Rice
½ cup Split Moong Dal /Pesara Pappu / Yellow Lentils
1 1/2 cups Jaggery (OR as per taste) crushed fine.
3 cups water
4 cups Milk
1 tsp Cashews
1 tsp Raisins
¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
1 tsp Ghee
1) Mix rice and Split moong dal together, wash well for 3 times and pressure cook in cooker with water till cooked.
2) Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan , add ghee and fry cashews till they turn golden in color. Then fry raisins and keep aside.
3) In a bowl add milk . Leave the milk on the stove for some time on a medium flame until the milk boils .
4) Later add the cooked rice and dal mixture to the boiling milk and mix very well. Keep stirring now and then so it doesn't stick to pan.
5) Then add crushed jaggery and mix well .Add cardamom powder and mix well.
6) Leave it again for on a low flame for 10 -15 minutes and switch off the flame.
7) Add fried cashews and Raisins to the prepared Pongal.
8) Serve hot, topped with a generous dollop of ghee!!!
Enjoy this sweet pongal:)