Gutti Vankaya Kura is a Andhra Special Curry.This dish is made with either small purple brinjals or small round green ones.But you need to make sure that the brinjals are absolutely fresh and shiny.Vankaya has been an all time favorite in my home.It can be made with different stuffings.I am posting the recipe which my mom usually makes with coconut, sesame seeds, Groundnuts ,onions, tomatoes and spices. One bite of it, and you are in heaven :-)
10 green or purple colored small Brinjals
2 Onions (Medium sized) chopped
2 Tomatoes chopped
Few curry leaves
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
oil for frying
For Stuffing (Masala Paste):-
1/4 cup peanuts - roast them, when they are cooled, rub and remove the skins
1/4 cup sesame seeds - dry roast them
1/4 cup Chana Dal -Dry roast
1/4 cup Urad Dal - Dry roast
1 tbsp fresh Coconut
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Cloves
1 tbsp Chilly powder (adjust it to your spice level)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black peppercorn
1/4 tsp fenugreek(methi) seeds
1 tbsp Tamarind juice
1 tbsp Jaggery
1 tsp Salt
1) Heat little oil in a pan and saute the onions, tomatoes and the ginger-garlic paste for abt. 10 mins. Cool it.
2) Once the Ingredients to grind are cool enough to touch, take them all in a mixer. Add a tbsp each of - jaggery, tamarind juice and a tsp of salt and sauted onion,tomatoes and ginger garic paste. Blend them to smooth consistency.
3) Heat oil in a deep frying pan, once heated do plus signs on each eggplant from underneath about 3/4 of it's size. Deep fry eggplants only for few secs, making sure you are turning the eggplant, to coat the hot oil on all sides. By now they will open a bit, remove to a plate. Do this to all of them. Switch off.
4) Stuff with above masala paste, carefully into each fried brinjal without breaking it. Hold the brinjal in your left hand and slightly open the slits, using your right hand stuff the paste. Save the remaining paste for gravy.
5) Heat oil in a pan and add and toast few curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.Then add the stuffed brinjals and saute them for a couple of mins till the brinjal slightly changes its colour. Now add the remaining paste and little water.Stir in turmeric and salt-½ tsp of each.
6) Cook them covered in medium low flames for abt. 20-30 mins. Stir them once in a while without breaking the brinjal. Remove the cover and cook them for 15 more mins till the brinjal becomes soft and the gravy thickens.
7) Let the curry sit on stove for another 10 minutes like that, giving more time for the flavors to mingle well.
8) Serve warm with rice or roti.Even goes well as a party dish.