Wish You all the readers of Mom's Recipies a Very Happy and Prosperous Ganesh Chaturthi / Vinayaka Chavathi !
Undarallu are a Savory steamed rice balls ,which is offered to lord Ganesha as Naivedyam during Ganesh Chaturthi. Lord Ganesha is said to be fond of “Undrallu” which is mainly prepared from rice flour. Hardly any ghee/oil is used to prepare undrallu as they are prepared by way of steaming which makes them low fat unlike most festive foods which are high in calories. Different varieties of undrallu both savory (kudumulu) and sweet ones are prepared and offered as naivedyam/prasadam to Lord Ganesha.My Mom makes Undrallu not only as offering ,but also as dinner item. We used to love it very much.It is Very simple to prepare and absolutely healthy as its steamed.
Rice Rava- 1 cup (Raw rice washed , dried completely and ground to coarse powder similar to sooji )
Channa Dal - 2 tbsp (soak for at least 10 mins)
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
2 tsp oil /Ghee
Preparing Rice Rava at home:-
Wash raw rice for 2-3 times then dry it completely.After that grind to coarse powder similar to sooji.Now a days rice rava is available in all the stores.So you can use that also.
- Soak Channa dal in water for at least 2o minutes.
- Heat about 2 tsps of oil in a nonstick pan and add cumin seeds. After Cumin seeds splutter
Add 2 cups of water (1: 2; Rava: water ratio) in the pan and bring it to boil.
- After the water starts boiling add salt, soaked chana dal and slowly add rava. Stir continuously with out stopping to make sure that lumps are not formed.
- Cook on medim heat until the mixture comes together and looks like upma. Consistency should be neither too wet (if this is the case cook a little longer) nor too dry(add little more water).
- Let this mixture cool down or till it is easy to handle.
- Then make lemon size balls of the cooled mixture .Undarallu are ready to offer as Naivedyam .
Serve hot with ginger chutney (allam pachadi).
Labels: Festival food