A very popular dish all over India and each region in India has its own recipe for making these Vada’s. Typically the Vada’s have green chillies and ginger added to them. This recipe does not have them and vadas are fried in water instead of oil.This recipe is low in fat and less in calories and no cholesterol at all ,so you can eat as many as you want without giving up on your cravings.
My mother saw this recipe in television and she shared with me. I found this interesting and immediately came into my mind is Manasi's Healthy Cooking Event and I tried it. And really Dahi vadas came out very well and were really very tasty. It was hit in my family.All vadas finished within no time......so i thought of sharing with you all.......
1 cup urad dal (black gram lentil without skin)
4 Cups thick yogurt
1/4 water to whisk yogurt
1 tsp chat masala
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly roasted and powdered cumin powder
2 tsp sugar (according to sweetness)
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Date and Tamarind chutney for garnishing (optional)
Preparation of Vadas:
1. Soak urad dal for 4 hours and then grind it into smooth paste along with salt.
2. The batter should be thick enough. Grind using very less water.
3. Take a katori and cover its mouth with a wet cloth. Hold the cloth tight from below so as to get flat surface on top. Put 1 tbsp. of urad dal paste on the top of the wet cloth and slightly flatten it with wet hands. Make a small hole in the centre.
4. Heat water in a pan,water should be boiling drop slowly, vada in the boiling water . First vada will settle down at bottom and after few minutes it will come up.Keep it for 1 minute and then remove vada form pan.Similarly make all the badas. You can fry 5-6 badas at a time depending on how big is your kadhai.
Refrigerate until serving.
Preparation of Dahi:
1. Whisk the yogurt by adding little water. It should be thick.
2. Add salt, sugar to it and keep it refrigerated for 1/2 hour.
Final Dahi Vada:
1. In a serving bowl, keep vadas and pour dahi on them.
2. Sprinkle it with chaat masala ,roasted cumin powder ,red chilli powder .
3. Garnish with chopped coriander and tamarind chutney. Serve cold.
These taste awesome......And they’re good for everyone as they are fried in water
Here’s the nutrition info: Each vada has 131 calories, calories from fat -0 ,15 grams of carbohydrates, 10.8 grams of protein , 0 grams of fat, 0 mg of cholesterol ,very high in dietary fiber 11.7 gm,High in Iron , phosphorus,manganese.
This is my contribution to Mansi’s Healthy Cooking event.Thanks Manasi for hosting such a lovely event which inspired me to think for making healthy dish.....