Posted by Sireesha at Monday, September 21, 2009
I am doing Navratri fasting for 9 days, so thought of sharing Fasting recipies which I would be preparing during these days. We can eat Sabudana ,Kottu atta,Singhara (Indian water-chestnut) ,Potato ,Sweet Potato,Groundnuts,Coconut ,Rajgira and Fruits during the fasting days.
Today I will share recipe for Sabudana thalipeeth which is very forgiving. If you use boiled and mashed potatoes, you can add a few spoons of rajgira (amaranth) flour or Sabudana flour for binding and stay within the upwas (fasts) restrictions.
2 cups Soaked Sabudana / Sago
2 large Boiled Potatoes
1 tsp of Cumin
2 tbsp Sabudana Powder
11/2 tsp Green chilly paste
Salt to taste
1/4 cup roasted Peanut groundnuts powder
1/2 tsp Sugar
Ghee to shallow fry
1) Soak 2 cups of sago by placing it in a bowl, then rinsing once with water, then adding enough water to just cover the sago in the bowl. Cover and leave overnight or 5 hours. Your sago will swell well and becoming a bit rubbery and soft. This results in perfectly fluffed sago.Keep it aside.
2) Boil the Potatoes in microwave or in pressure cooker. Peel it then mash it.
3) In a big bowl add soaked sabudana , mashed potato,groundnut powder,salt ,sugar, green chilli paste, cumin seeds ,sabudana powder and mix well to a soft dough, except ghee.
4) On a thick plastic bag/ sheet, place a tennis ball size ball of the dough and pat it with hands into a round roti shape or flat bigger circle. See that roti should be thick and should not break.
5) Heat a non -stick pan.
6) Gently transfer it to the hot non stick pan. Put ghee around it.
7) Cook on both sides to a until nice golden colour and crispy.
Serve with Yogurt / coconut chutney of your choice.
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney:-
Coconut pieces -1/2 cup
Green chillies - 5-6
Curd - 1 tsp
Rock Salt or Sendha Namak to taste
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Grind all the ingredients to smooth paste. Add seasoning of cumin seeds.
If you are not preparing this for fasting then you can use normal salt.