When fasting, Hindus can not eat anything containing cereals .My Mom,who fasted at least twice a week, used to make Halwa with either sweet potatoes or ordinary potatoes. It can be eaten at the time of Navratri fasting also.It tastes good and delicious with either.
- Boiled & Mashed Sweet Potato/Yam /Ratale: 2 Cups
- Sugar: 1 Cup
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Chopped Cashewnuts & Raisins
2) When cool, peel and mash sweet potatoes.
3) Heat ghee in a Pan. Fry cashewnuts till they become golden brown. Then add raisins & fry for few seconds.
4) Heat 1/2 tsp ghee in a pan and then add mashed sweet potatoes & fry well.
5) Cook till ghee starts oozing out.
6) Add sugar & Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes.
7) Remove from heat and garnish with rasins and fried cashewnuts.
Your yummy sweet potato halwa is ready to eat.