In south India , Upma is usually taken during breakfast. It is a simple and tasty dish made using Sooji/Semolina. Wheat Rava Upma made using less oil is very healthy and ideal for people on diet. Wheat Rava Upma also fills your stomach very well.
3 cups - Wheat rava (dahlia)
1 nos - Onion, sliced
5 nos - Green chilles, slit across the length
2 nos - Red chillies
1 sprig - Curry leaves
4 Tbsp - Oil
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 tsp - Channa Dal
1 tsp - cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish
- In a pan/cooker, heat the oil, and let the mustard seeds splutter, then add the cumin seeds ,channa dal, chillies, curry leaves and onions. Saute till the onions turn transparent.
- Add 9 cups of water (rava-water ratio is 1:3).
- As the water begins to boil, add the salt and then slowly stir in the Rava, avoiding any lumps.
- Steam cook the upma for 5-8 mins if using the cooker or cover the pan with a lid and cook for the same amount of time.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot :-) I just love it with tomato pickle .