Cluster Beans also called Gorchikudukaya or Mattikaya in Telugu . Also called Chawlikay in Kannada, Gavar in Hindi and Kotthavarangaa in Tamil, this vegetable is easily available in most parts of India. This is also easily available in our Indian stores.
Cluster Beans ,snip the ends,chop fine.
1 cup toor dal
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
7-8 curry leaves
2 pinch Hing
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp sugar or jaggery
2 tsp Sambar Powder home made
1/4 tsp Fengureek seeds
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Coriander for garnishing
1.Wash and cook toor dal in pressure cooker with sufficient water with turmeric and keep it aside.
2. Snip of the ends of cluster beans, wash and chop fine.
3. Open the cooker,strain the water on top,(keep this aside and add lastly to the sambar if too thick)and mash the dal well with the round end of a ladle.
4. Heat oil in a cooker,keeping the flame medium, splutter fengureek seeds ,mustard seeds ,cumin seeds and brown the urad dal . Add hing. Immediately add the onions , sauteing continuously.Add the curry leaves.
5. Add sambar powder,chilli powder, salt ,sugar,cooked dal ,Cluster beans , Tamarind pulp and close the lid of cooker and cook till 2 whistles.
6. Check salt and the consistency of the sambar,as it should not be too thick or too watery.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.