Gongura pachadi / pickle is a very popular authentic Andhra pickle variety and no marriage in Andhra happens without serving this pickle . Red sorrel leaves, Roselle, Gongura (telugu) , Pulicha keerai (Tamil), Ambadi (Hindi) are popular sour greens. Red Sorrel comes in two varieties : one is green stem and the other being red variety which is sourer than the green/white stems variety. These greens are used to prepare curries, stews, dals , pickles …. For chutney, only the leaves are used.
Red Sorrel has some health benefits too and is useful in relieving symptoms of fever. The leaves of this herb are useful in the prevention and treatment of scurvy which is a deficiency caused by lack of vitamin C. Fresh leaves of the plant are useful in stimulating the stomach and aiding its action. These leaves are beneficial in the treatment of jaundice and a tablespoon of fresh red sorrel juice mixed with butter-milk is recommended once daily in the treatment of jaundice. Gongura relieves indigestion,cold and cough. It cleanses the intestines. It also helps in removing infections as well.
1 tsp methi seeds (fenugreek)
1tsp Avaalu (mustard seeds)
1) Separate gongura leaves from the respective stems. Wash and keep separately till all the water is drained.
2) Take deep fry pan. Pour some oil (2 tsp) warm up. Add gongura leaves and fry till all the water is evaporated.
3) Take out the fried leaves and keep it separately.
4) In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil and add methi seeds and fry till light brown and then add urad dal(black gram) and dry red chillis and fry stirring constantly till light brown.
6) Grind these above ingredients with required salt. Now add crushed garlic and the fried gongura leaves and grind to the fine paste.
7) Now heat 2 tbsps of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
8) Remove from fire and add to the ground gongura pachadi along with the oil.
11) This pachadi can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3-4 weeks .