Ganesh Chaturthi is the time to make varieties of Modak like Mawa Modak , Chocolate Modak , ,Motichoor ladoo modak ,Ukadihe Modak ,Dry Fruits Modak ,Malai modak etc.....
Khoya Modak / Pedha Modak is one of the easy modak recipes that you can try for this Ganesh Chaturthi 2016.This is a quick modak recipe and comes handy if you don’t have much time. These mawa modaks can also be served as offering to Lord Ganesha. Your family and mainly kids will love these Pedha modaks as they are rich and delicious.
2 cups crumbled Khoya (mawa)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped pistachios
1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
a few strands of saffron (kesar) strands
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp ghee/butter for greasing modak moulds
1) Combine the mava /Khoya and sugar in a broad non-stick pan.
2) Switch on the flame and cook the mava mixture on medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
3) Then cook on low heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves completely and the khoya starts to melt.
4) Soon the mawa / Khoya mixture will start releasing fat.
5) Once the mixture starts bubbling, then sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of cardamom (elaichi) powder.
6) The mixture will start thickening, continuously keep stirring.
7) Keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan.
8) Immediately transfer the mixture in thali or plate
9) Do not overcook as then the modaks will turn out dense.
10) Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
11) Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
12) Crumble the mava with your finger tips, add the chopped pistachios, and saffron-milk mixture, mix well.
13) Grease the modak moulds with a bit of butter or ghee . Place aside.
14) Make small balls from the mixture.
15) Take a small ball of mava mixture, place it in modak mould and press the mawa ball with your fingers so that it gets the shape of mould.
16) Gently unmould and remove the excess modak mixture from the edges of the modak.
17) Place the modaks over a greased plate/ thali.
18) Repeat the same with the rest of mixture
Mawa Modaks / Pedha Modaks are ready to offer lord ganesha as prasad.
These modaks stay fresh for 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
Do not overcook mawa mixture as the modaks will turn out dense