Veg kohlapuri is special and traditional mix veg sabzi / curry. This is very popular dish from Kolhapur city which is situated in Maharashtra. This is prepared in thick spicy gravy with loads of vegetables
This Kolhapuri masala is very useful so making it in a large batch and keeping it handy is a good idea.
It is accompanied by a chapati , roti, paratha, naan or kulcha .This Popular dish is traditionally spicy but u can adjust the heat to ur taste buds....Its one of my families favorite dish....
2 large onions chopped
8 florets cauliflower
2 large tomatoes chopped
1 potato boiled and chopped
1 capsicum chopped
1 carrot boiled and chopped
6-8 French beans
1 /4 cup peas boiled
1 inch ginger
6 cloves garlic
2 tsp Red chill powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
4 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. Kolhapuri Masala
2 tbsp cashew nuts fried
1 inch stick cinnamon
2 Black Cardamoms
1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
salt to taste
1 tbsp. coriander leaves chopped
1) Thoroughly wash vegetables and chop in small pieces.
2) Peel, wash carrots and potatoes and cut into half inch sized cubes. String French beans and cut into half inch pieces. Wash and drain green peas.
3) Steam all the vegetables in an electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.The vegetables have to be completely cooked and yet retain their shape.
4) Wash tomatoes and grind it to fine paste.
5) Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
6) Heat two teaspoons of oil in a kadai or pan. Add cloves, cinnamon,cardamom and fennel seeds. Lightly fry. Then grind to a fine powder.
7) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in kadai then add chopped onions and cook till it turns slightly turns pink. Cool, grind to a paste . Keep aside.
8) Heat remaining oil in same kadai or pan. Add ginger and garlic paste ,tomato paste ,onion paste and continue to saute till 2-3 minutes.
9) Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder,kashmiri red chilli powder,salt and half cup of water and cook for three minutes.
12) Add the boiled vegetables, adjust salt and mix well.Simmer and cook covered for four to five minutes.
13) Once gravy starts boiling, add kolhapuri masala, fennel seeds mixture powder and cook for another 4-5 minutes in between stirring continuously.
14) Stir well and Garnish with fried cashews and chopped coriander leaves .
15) Serve hot with chapatis or rotis or pulkas or parathas.
1) This curry should be enough spicy. However, adjust the amount of red chili powder to give required heat.
2) Kashmiri red chili powder gives nice bright red color and flavor to the curry. If its unavailable, use pinch of edible red color.
3) Normal chilli powder is used for spiciness.