Fenugreek leaves are enriched with minerals like Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin K and Iron.The leaves have good dietary fiber and are enriched with Vitamin C. Consumption of fenugreek leaves restores excellent digestion abilities. You will not get common digestive problems like digestive disorders and iron deficiency. Menthi Kura Pappu /Methi Dal from my home grown Methi / Fenugreek Leaves.
Growing Methi :
I Just threw some methi seeds in the soil.Just some sunshine ,water ,garden soil and attention. My own methi plants are grown.
Ingredients for Methi dal:-
1 cup Menthi kura / Fenugreek / Methi
1 cup Toor dal
4-5 green chillis slit length wise
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 Dry red chillis
Few Curry leaves
A pinch Hing
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves crushed
chopped coriander leaves for garnish
small lemon size tamarind
3 cups water
1) First wash and pluck methi / Fenugreek leaves .
2) Soak Tamarind in water .
3) Then wash toor dal and add 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker.
4) Now add the washed and picked fenugreek leaves ,green chillies ,turmeric to toor dal and pressure cook upto till three to four whistles or until toor dal is soft.
5) After pressure is released add salt to this cooked mixture and mash with ladle till well combined.
6) Then Add soaked tamarind water / tamarind pulp.Mix well.
7) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
8) Then add the cumin seeds, crushed garlic ,hing , whole red chilli pieces and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
9) Add mashed dal to this poppu /Seasoning and cook on low heat with lid covered for 5 mins.
10) Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice , ghee, Mango Pickle ,papad , vadiyaalu and you have a complete meal. You can also serve with rotis also.
Absolutely nutritious, healthy and tasty dal is ready :)