Rava Idli is a very popular South Indian breakfast dish which is very simple to prepare .It is a quick and equally tasty version of idlis made with Rava . Since the batter requires no fermentation, this recipe is a quick-fix if guests vists us unexpectdly!
Preparation time - 10 mins
Soaking time - 30 mins
Cuisine -South Indian
Rava /Sooji /Semolina - 2 Cups
Curd - 1 Cup
Chilli Paste -1 tsp
Bengal gram / Channa dal - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cashewnuts - 7-8 (Optional)
Hing /asafeotida - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Ginger -1/2 inch (grated) (optional)
Carrot - 1 ( grated)
Coriander Leaves -few (chopped)
Oil - 4 tsps
Eno Fruit salt / Eating Soda - 2 tsps
Salt to taste
Water -1 cup(adjust to reach consistency)
|Sooji /Rava /Semolina|
2) In same pan heat oil and add cashews and fry till golden colour.Remove and add the cashews to the rava.
3) In the same pan, add 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard seeds crackle then add chana dal, curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Fry till the chana dal become golden in colour.
5) Grease the Idli Plates /Idli moulds with oil.
Heat the idly cooker or pressure cooker with water and let it be ready for steaming.Pour the ladle full of batter in the Idli plates and steam in cooker for 10-12 minutes on medium flame.Turn off heat and let it sit for 5 mins. Remove the rava idlis carefully with a spatula.
6) Spongy ,moist,soft Rava Idlies are ready to serve.Serve hot with Coconut Chutney ,Peanut Chutney or chutney of your choice.
1) You can add vegetables of your choice like peas, beans or capsicum.
2) Baking Soda or Eno fruit salt are important don't miss it.Eno salt should be active enough,so that when you add and mix the batter,small bubbles should be come,which makes the batter frothy.