Tikha Gathiya is a crunchy and spicy deep fried snack made from gram flour .Gathiya comes in many varieties and different shapes. Gathiyas are a little spicier and thicker then sev. I make gathiyas and many other namkeens during festivals like Diwali and Holi.This is awesome tea time snack. It is a perfect snack for your kid’s lunchbox also.
Gram Flour /besan / chick pea flour / sengapindi -1½ cups
Carom Seeds /Ajwain -1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder /Lal mirch - 1 1/2 tsps ( adjust according to your taste)
Turmeric Powder /Haldi -1 /4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder /Kali mirch -1/4 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 small pinch
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Hot ghee or oil - 2 tbsp
Water (for dough) -1/4 cup (or as required)
1) First sieve the gram flour in a large bowl. Mix gram flour, Ajwain /carom seeds, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, baking soda , hot oil and salt in a bowl and combine well.
2) Slowly add water little by little to make a soft dough.Knead smooth dough by adding 1/4 cup water. Dough should not be very soft as well as not very stiff. Dough should be just soft enough that it is pressed through easily with the chakali /sev press.Grease the dough using 2 tsps oil.
3)Use a mould for thick sev (a mould with big holes) to make gathiya.
4) Place mould at bottom in the machine and place dough in it. Close the machine tightly.
5) Heat a wide heavy bottomed pan with enough oil for deep frying on medium flame.
6) Once the oil is hot, holding the machine over oil press the sev press in circular motion to make concentric layers of the gathiya dough. As you press the dough into the hot oil, you will find the oil froths up in bubbles which will eventually subside as the gathiya turns to a golden colour. Fry for a minute on medium heat to achieve that golden color and crispness.Don't over fry otherwise color turns to brown.
7) When the gathiya turns a golden color, turn over to the other side and let it also cook to a golden color. Use a slotted ladle to remove gathia from oil and drain on kitchen paper or absorbent paper. Do the same process for remaining dough .
8) Crispy Tikha Gathiya is ready. Crush gathiya gently with hands before storing.
9) Cool completely before storing . Store it in airtight container or metallic container in a cool and dry place . It can be stored for 1 month.
If you do not like flavor of black pepper , you can avoid it.
You can find sev machine in any Indian vessel store.