Posted by ST at Wednesday, October 07, 2015
Sama is also known as Sama Ke Chawal,Moraiyo, Mordhan, Vari, Varai, Samak, Samvat, Vrat ke chawal ,Bhagar, Phalahari and in English known as Barnyard millet.
Vrat Ke Chawal is one of the most popular fasting food.It provides the nourishment and energy that rice does.It is very easy to digest. It is almost the same as rice intaste and rich source of minerals and Vitamins.
Vrat ke chawal or moraiyo khichadi /Bhagar is usually made on Navratri fastings or Maha Shivaratri fasting or any other Hindu fasting. It is Quick, easy and filling khichadi.
|Vrat Ke Chawal / Bhagar /Samvat Rice|
Vrat ke chawal / Bhagar /Sama ke chawal /Barnyard millet-1 cup
Ghee or oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Peanuts - 4 tbsps (Optional)
Green chilies - 2 (chopped finely)
Potato - 1 medium (chopped finely)
Rock salt or sendha namak - to taste (use bit more than normal salt)
Water - 2 cups
Lemon juice - 1 tbsps
1) Wash and soak Vrat ke chawal / barnyard millet for 10 minutes and then discard the soaking water.
2) Heat the oil or ghee in a pan or cooker on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then add and saute peanuts for 2 minutes..
3) Now add the chopped potatoes and some rock salt or sendha namak for them and sauté them. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
4) Then add green chilies and saute for a minute.
5) Then add soaked vrat ke chawal with 2 cups of water and little bit salt. Let the water come to a boil. Then cover the pan and lower the heat to LOW and cook for 15 minutes or until the water evaporates.
6) Then add lemon juice and mix well.
7) Garnish with chopped coriander.
8) Serve with Curd or Coconut Chutney or Peanut Chutney.
During Fastings Table salt is not used as it is chemically processed instead rock salt or Sendha Namak is used.
Rock Salt and Sendha Namak is a pure form of salt that is not chemically processed at all and hence much healthier.It is rich in potassium and very helpful in digestion ,relieving gas and soothing heart burns.