This chutney that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam, upma and medu vada.This is very easy to make.This hotel style coconut chutney's main ingredient is roasted bengal gram / roasted chana dal /Putanaala pappu.
1 cup Grated fresh coconut or frozen (or cut into pieces)
1/2 cup roasted chana dal/split chick pea /putanaala pappu
3-4 green chilies, chopped
1 sprig Curry Leaves
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
1/4 mustard seeds
1/4 cumin seeds
1 whole dry red chilli
A pinch of asafoetida/hing
1) Grind grated coconut,split chick pea /putnaala pappu and green chillies in a mixer adding about 1/2 cup of water to a smooth paste.
2) Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.Then add the urad dal and slightly brown it. Then add cumin seeds,dry red chilli,curry leaves,hing /asafoetida.
3) Fry for some seconds till the curry leaves start to become crisp. Make sure the red chilli don't burn.
4) Pour the tempering into the chutney and mix well.
5) Serve the coconut chutney immediately with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.