Onion Pakoras or Onion fritters are a very popular snacks which can be prepared in just 10 minutes. Whether you want to entertain sudden guests or just enjoy the pleasant rainy evening or cold wintery days, crispy and spicy onion pakoras are one.It is also a very famous street food.It is a very popular tea time snack and tastes great with green chutney or ketchup or as it is.
2 cups gram flour or besan, sifted to remove lumps
1 tbsp rice flour
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ajwain /carom seeds
Salt as required
Hing - a pinch
1/2 tsp baking soda
Water to make batter
Oil for deep frying
1) Peel and slice the onions thinly.
3) Then add sliced onions in it.
4) Add water and mix it to a thick and smooth consistency batter.Add little water in the beginning as the onions will release water later and so the batter becomes too watery.Beat it well. The trapped air will make them light and fluffy.
5) Add the baking soda and mix well.
6) Heat at least one inch of oil in a deep frying pan on a medium heat .
7) Drop dollops of the batter into the hot oil, either with a dessert spoon or with your fingers.
8) Do this gently, from the side of the pan, to stop the oil from splashing on to your hands and face. 9) Deep fry pakoras in oil.Fry the pakoras in small batches . Fry the pakoras, turning occasionally, until both sides are golden brown.
10) When they are golden brown, take them out with a laddle on an absorbent paper or tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
11) Serve Tasty Onion Pakoras with Tomato sauce or mint chutney or tamarind chutney or with garam garam cahi.
Rice flour adds crispiness to pakoras.
If the oil is too hot the pakoras will not be crisp; if the oil is not hot enough, the pakoras will be oily.