The most basic of cooked sauces and the simplest, tomato and basil sauce is the benchmark of a good Italian home cook.Pasta is comfort food for us at home and easy peasy and yummy. This delicious pasta dish is easy to make and is a great quick fix for a lazy Friday night dinner.
- 95 g pasta of any type (you could use any pasta here,macaroni , long, thin, short, tube: this is one sauce which works well with all the pastas)
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 clove crushed garlic
- minced 1tbsp dried basil,( Since I don't have fresh Basil)
- 120 g diced tomatoes
- crumbled 3 oz (90 g) Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2) Dice the tomatoes in small chunks and keep aside.
3) Heat the oil in a large skillet, add garlic .As soon as the garlic gives off its aroma and becomes opaque add the tomatoes, and the spices, and cook on medium heat in a skillet, until the tomatoes look like they're well-cooked (about 10 minutes or so). Then, if you need the extra sauce, add it, but not more than 1/3 cup.
4) When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the sauce. Mix it well.Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
5) Toss warm pasta with Parmesan Cheese .
6) You can add more Parmesan and dried basil if desired. Serve immediately.
Tip:-After you have a basic tomato sauce in hand you could do zillions of variations; add grilled veggies ,spinach etc.
This recipe is reaching 2 Events:-
1) A.W.E.D Italiano Event hosted by DK
2) Herb Mania - Basil hosted byAmmalu's Kitchen