Wishing all my Readers a Very Happy and Prosperous Diwali. May this Diwali brings you lots and lots of happiness and big cheer in life !!!
Tomato rasam is a poplular south Indian cuisine. It is also known as tomato chaaru and cooked daily as a part of meal in all over South India.Being a South Indian and growing up in that environment this version was my favorite. Rasam goes great with the dal and rice. Its wonderful sour and spicy taste is liked by everyone.
Ripe tomatoes - 4
Whole pepper - 10
Jeera - 2 tsps
Garlic flakes - 3
Chopped Coriander leaves - 2 tsps
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsps
Curry leaves - 5
Rasam powder - 1tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Hing (Asofotadia) a pinch
1. Blanch tomatoes in hot water, take out the skin and mash or grind the pulp.
2. Add lot of water to the pulp, salt, rasam powder and jaggery and mash well either with hand or with a hand blender.
3. Powder Pepper,Jeera, garlic coarsely.
4. For tempering, heat oil, add mustard seeds, jeera ,curry leaves, once they crackle add powdered pepper, jeera, garlic ,Hing. Fry little and add it to the tomato rasam.
5. Boil well for 5-10 minutes, add coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot as a soup or with steaming hot plain rice and papads. A dash of ghee in the rasam before serving will enhance the taste.