Methi Theplas are one of the popular gujarati meals. We can have it in breakfast ,lunch ,dinner, traveling and for picnics! It stays good for 2-3 days if handled properly . It can be eaten with curds , pickels and chunda. Methi Theplas can be enjoyed hot or otherwise. Methi Thepla is one of my family favorite and made regularly in my home.
2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 cup besan ( bengal gram flour)
1 cup chopped methi (fenugreek)
1 tsp - Chili-Ginger Paste
1 tsp - Cumin Powder
1 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
1 tsp - Til (sesame seeds)
1/2 tsp Ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup curds (dahi)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
oil for kneading and cooking
1) Rinse well and pluck and roughly chop methi leaves .
2) In a large bowl add wheat flour, besan, cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili-ginger paste, sesame seeds,carom seeds,salt, oil and methi leaves mix well to combine everything.
3) Add curd and knead to smooth dough, add very little of water if required.
4) Knead the dough well using a little oil. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
5) Divide the dough into equal portions and roll out each portion into a 5" diameter circle using whole wheat flour for rolling.
6) Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each circle, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both sides.
7) Serve hot with chunda or mango pickle or curd..