Tea or chai is a very popular Indian beverage made from tea leaves , milk,water and sugar.
I love tea very much.I like to have tea in the mornings and evenings. We can make an astonishing variety of teas Elaichi Chai or Cardamom Tea, Masala chai, Ginger Tea or Adrak Ki Chai ,Tea laden with milk and sugar and Adrak Elaichi wali chai. Everyone has their own way of making tea.
My favorite is Ginger-Cardamom tea.Ginger-Cardamom Tea is especially soothing when we have a sore throat or down with the flu.
Tea leaves or powder - 2 tsp (any brand) I used Red Label tea
Ginger (crushed or grated) -1/2 inch piece
Cardamom - 2 crushed
Milk /Skimmed Milk /Non fat milk -1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 tsp
- First wash the ginger thoroughly then peel it .
- Crush together ginger and cardamom pods with amotar pestle.
- In a saucepan Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add tea powder, crushed ginger- cardamom and boil it in medium low flame. Let it come to boil.Add sugar to taste.
- Simmer and add milk and bring it to boil. When the milk boils and raises up, reduce the flame, then increase the flame again, let the milk rise up again.
- Switch off the flame .
- Strain the tea in two teacups.
Enjoy piping hot Ginger cardamon tea with biscuits or warm khari or any namkeen !!!
- There are no rules regarding the ratio of milk and water. Since I like milky tea, I have added half milk and half water. If you do not prefer milky tea, add more water and less milk.
- Some of the water evaporates when boiled and so we use a tad bit more water than required.
- Add or reduce sugar according to your choice.You can skip adding the sugar while making the tea if you prefer adding it to your cup while serving.
- Do not simmer the tea for more than 1 minute as it will make the tea stronger and bitter.
Some snacks which pair perfectly well with a cup of tea:-