Uggani is an amazing dish made from a simple puffed ric /Borugulu.This is a popular snack from Rayalseema, south Andhra. . You can find Uggani being sold in road side shops in Rayalseema. They have this as a big heap with Green chilles decorated on top. Uggani is usually served with Mirapakaya Bajji.We can eat it as breakfast / Brunch /Snack /Dinner.
Puffed Rice / murmura / Borugulu - 1 large bowl
Onion - 1 (Chopped )
Green chillies - 4 or 5 (slit lengthwise) or you can also make paste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Roasted chickpea powder(putnala pappu podi) - 1 tbsp
Roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
1) First Grind fried gram dal/ roasted chickpea / Putnala pappu into fine powder.
Soaking Puffed Rice in water
2) Take a big bowl fill half of it with water add the puffed rice in water and soak it for about 5 mts. Because of lightweight, they will float. Using your hands push them under water for few seconds.Let them soak water. After 5 minutes, remove them from water ,squeeze away the water by taking a handful of soaked puffed rice each time.Remove them all from water in this way and put them in another bowl. Don't keep it for long as it becomes very soft and uggani will not be perfect.
Squeezing water from puffed rice
3) Once you have removed all the water, add the roasted chickpea powder and salt. Mix well. Keep it aside.
4) Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric,chopped onion, slit green chillies. Fry for sometime till onion become transparant.Then add roasted peanuts,puffed rice, and mix well. Keep it on low flame for 5-8 mins, before removing, add lemon juice and mix well then garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
5) Uggani is ready to serve.This is best served with Mirapakaya Bajji or Chilli Bajji.It can also be eaten by itself.