Semiya Kesari is a very easy kesari recipe made with vermicelli .It is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious. Its perfect to make when sudden guests visits us . It needs very little ghee unlike other kesari recipes. Its perfect to make on festive occasions.
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
Semiya / Vermicelli - 2 cups loosely packed
Water - 3 cups
Melted Ghee - 6 tsps
Sugar - 1 cup
Cashew nuts - 8 (chopped)
Cardamom powder - a tiny pinch
Saffron - 7-8 strands(optional)
Orange food color - a tiny pinch
1) Heat a tsp of ghee in a non pan and roast Semiya /Vermicelli till golden color on a medium flame. Keep it aside.
2) In same pan add 1/2 tsp of ghee and roast the chopped cashew nuts till golden brown. Keep it aside.
3) Now boil water in a Non stick pan, when it boils add the semiya /Vermicelli and cooked till soft and all the moisture is absorbed.
4) When the Semiya /vermicelli is cooked then add sugar . Mix well.
5) Now it will start to loosen up.Keep stirring continuously until it is thick.Then add food color and saffron and mix well.
6) Add Ghee.Mix well.Once it starts to get thick and starts to leave the sides of the pan add cardamom powder,cashewnuts and mix well. Switch off the stove.
Serve Hot or Warm
1) I used fine Bambino vermicelli so needed only 1 and 1/2 cups of water for a cup of vermicelli.Water quantity may vary depending on the variety of vermicelli.
2) Roast Vermicelli /Semiya well so it gives nice aroma and its non sticky and will avoid mushiness while getting cooked.
3) Always ensure that the semiya will get cooked properly.
4) Do not add sugar before the semiya gets cooked properly else the kesari will turn rubbery.
5 This keeps well for 3 days if refrigerated .While serving just heat it up and drizzle little ghee and serve hot or warm.