Erra kaaram dosa is quite famous street food in Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh .'Erra Karam' means 'red chutney' which is smeared on dosa and daliya powder /Pappula Podi is sprinkled fully over dosa to neutralize the heat of the red chutney.
I came to know about these dosa from my MIL . Whenever I make dosa definitely I have to make Erra Karam otherwise my hubby and my daughter will not eat dosas. Erra Karam dosas are just favorite at my home.
You can try these Erra Karam dosas on one of the dayswhen you are bored of eating plain dosas or masala dosas.I am sure you will eat one more extra dosa that day.
For Dosa batter :-
Urad dal - 1 cup
Rice - 3 cups
Fengureek Seeds - a pinch
Soda bi carb - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
For Karam (Red Chutney)
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust the amount based on your spice level)
1/4 tsp salt (adjust according to taste )
1/8 cup coconut pieces
For Daliya powder /Pappula podi (powder)
1/2 cup putnala pappu (daliya/split roasted chickpeas)
1) Firstly clean and wash both rice and urad dal well.
2) Soak Urad Dal with Fengureek seeds ( Methi seeds) and rice separately for 5-6 hours or overnight.
3 ) Then grind urad dal in a mixer grinder or grinder adding sufficient water. The batter should be light and fluffy when completely ground.
4) Pour the urad dal batter in a bowl.
5) In a grinder or mixer grind the rice adding few tbsp of water while grinding.The rice should be completely ground. When you touch the batter with your finger tips, the batter should not feel grainy. It should be smooth paste like. Don’t add too much water in the beginning otherwise rice will not be grinded properly. Keep on adding little water in between.
6) Remember that batter should not be too thick or thin.
7) Now add the rice batter to the urad dal batter and mix well.
8) Add salt and some water if necessary and mix well . This is the basic dosa batter.
10) Add soda to the batter , mix it well and make dosas out of it.
Karam (Red Chutney )
First in a mixie grind the coconut pieces. Then add all the ingredients chopped onions, red chilli powder and salt to it and grind into a smooth paste. Add few tbsps of water if required.
Pappula Podi (Daliya Powder)
Grind the roasted chickpeas to a fine powder.
To make the Karam Dosas :-
1) Heat a non stick tawa. Smear the tawa with little bit of oil.Pour a ladle full of dosa batter and spread into a thin circle.
2) Drizzle oil along the edges of dosa and let it initially cook on low flame for 1-2 mins .
3) Flip the dosa to the other side and roast for a minute.Now increase the flame and cook for a min until you see red patches.
4) Again Flip the dosa.
5) Quickly spread a tbsp of the erra kaaram/red chutney all over the dosa with a spoon or spatula .
6) Sprinkle pappula podi all over the dosa and fold it to half and cook on each side for few seconds.
7) Serve it as-is or with any chutney...It should be served on to the plate immediately to enjoy the flavor and crispiness of the dosa.
8) Repeat the same process with the remaining batter as well.
9) Serve dosa with chutney of your choice like coconut chutney/groundnut chutney/Peanut Chutney /Bomaby Chutney /Tomato mint chutney.
10) I served erra kaaram dosa with Erra Karam only.
1) To save time during those busy mornings, the red chutney can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
2) The daliya powder can be ground and stored in an airtight container.
3) Do not pour the batter to prepare dosa on high flame,the batter will stick to the tawa.If you feel the tawa is over heated sprinkle some water over it before making next dosa.
4) If dosas are breaking cover the tawa with the plate after pouring the dosa batter on tawa.
5) Fenugreek Seeds will help in fermentation and give a good aroma and good colour to the Dosa.