Tomato Mint Chutney is a simple and delicious Chutney.It goes well with Dosas and Idlis. Due to its tangy and minty taste children likes to have this.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields ~ 2 cups
2 Large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 cup of fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves ,chopped
1/4 cup roasted gram dal /Dalva
5-7 dry red chillies or green chillies
1 marble sized ball of tamarind (soak in little water)
1/4 tsp of asafoetida / hing
1 tbsp of oil
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of urad dal
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan add the urad dal and red chillies and saute for few seconds until golden brown.
- Then add the onions and garlic and when they turn golden brown (about 4-5 mins), add chopped tomatoes. Stir well and cook for another 5-6 mins until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Then add the chopped mint leaves and cook for 2-3 mins until the leaves wilt and soften.
- Then, add the roasted gram dal and salt.
- Mix well to combine all the ingredients together and remove from fire.
- Cool and grind adding the tamarind and little water.
- In the same pan, add few more drops of oil and saute the mustard seeds when mustard seeds pop then add hing and turn off the flame.
- Add the grounded chutney to this tempering and mix well.
- A delicious, simple chutney that's bursting with mint flavor is now ready !!!
- Serve with Rice, Dosas, Idlis and Rotis.
- For a variation in flavor, replace mint with coriander leaves .
- Adjust the amount of red chillies or green chillies as per your taste.