Posted by ST at Friday, November 07, 2014
Gutti Vankaya is a famous Andra recipe .Vankaya Nuvvula masala, is a classic Andhra cuisine that is prepared on special occasions and even goes well as a party dish. What sums up the essence of this dish is the creamy sesame sauce and velvety Vankayas.One bit of it and your in heaven :)
Prep & Cooking: 1 hour
Purple Brinjals /Eggplants/Baingan /Vankaya - 1/2 kg
Onions - 2 large
Green chilies - 6
Khus khus/gasagasalu/white poppy seeds (dry roast ) - 2 tbsps
Nuvvulu/til/white sesame seeds, (dry roast )- 4 tbsps
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsps
Coriander powder - 2 tsps
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 4 tbsps
Dry Red Chilli - 1
few fresh curry leaves
1) Wash and Slit the brinjals into plus shape .Brinjals should be whole that is stalks should be intact i.e. do not cut fully.Place them in salted water to avoid discoloration.
2) Lightly dry roast the Khus Khus and sesame seeds separately for 3 mins and keep it aside.
|Poppy seeds /Khus Khus||Seasame seeds /Til /Nuvullu|
4) In the same pan, add the green chilies and chopped onions and saute for 5 mins on low flame. Cool it . Grind the onions and green chilies to a fine paste.
5) Grind the lightly roasted khus khus and sesame seeds to a fine paste, adding little water.
6) Add the remaining oil in the pan, add cumin seeds and as they splutter add the dry red chilli and curry leaves and saute for a min.
7) Then add the onion paste and Saute for 3 mins.
8) Add ginger garlic paste and saute for another 2 mins.
9) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.Then Add the khus khus and sesame paste and cook for 3 more mins.
10) Mix well and add 2 cups water and bring it to boil.
11) Reduce the flame and add the roasted brinjals and allow to simmer for 10 -15 mins or until the gravy thickens. Stir them once in a while without breaking the brinjals. After gravy thickens turn off the heat.
12) Serve hot Vankaya Nuvvulu Masala or brinjals in sesame sauce curry with rice ,flavored rice ,rotis ,chapatis .