A very popular dish all over India and each region in India has its own recipe for making these Vada’s.A great starter or a cold appetizer, Dahi Vada, is a popular North Indian street food.
Prep & Cooking: 45 mins, soaking of lentils: 4 hours
Serves 6-8 persons.
1 cup black gram lentil /urad dal (without skin) washed, soaked for 3 hours and ground to a fine paste adding very little water
2 piece of ginger grated
2-3 green chillies finely chopped
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
4 cups thick fresh yogurt (take care the curd isn’t sour)
1/4 cups water to whisk yogurt
red chili powder to taste
2 tbsps cumin seeds (slightly dry roasted and ground to a fine powder)
2 tbsps chaat masala
Tamarind chutney for Garnishing
chopped coriander leaves to garnish
1. Soak urad dal for 4 hours and then grind it into smooth paste along with salt, grated ginger and chopped green chillies.
2. The batter should be thick enough. Grind using very less water.
3. Pre-heat oil in a deep frying vessel, place a plastic sheet and place a little urad dal batter and shape into a vada or like a big lemon sized ball and drop slowly into the hot oil or Take a katori and cover its mouth with a wet cloth. Hold the cloth tight from below so as to get flat surface on top. Put 1 tbsp. of urad dal paste on the top of the wet cloth and slightly flatten it with wet hands. Make a small hole in the centre.
4.Drop vada slowly in the oil and Deep fry on medium heat for sometime and then fry on high heat till golden brown.
5. Remove these deep fried vadas into a bowl of luke warm water and place them in it for 15-20 seconds. Remove and gently press between your palms so that excess water oozes out. Keep them aside.
6. Finish making vadas with the rest of the remaining batter and put them in water like you did for the earlier batch, remove excess water and keep aside.
Preparation of Dahi / Yogurt:
1. Whisk the yogurt by adding little water. It should be thick.
2. Add salt, sugar to it and keep it refrigerated for 1/2 hour.
Final Dahi Vada:
1. Place the vadas in a serving bowl and pour the curd mixture evenly all over the vadas, covering them completely.
2. Sprinkle it with chaat masala ,roasted cumin powder ,red chilli powder .
3. Garnish with chopped coriander and tamarind chutney. Serve cold.
Enjoy the delicious Dahi Vada.
To make soft and fluffy vadas, take care to use good quality dal and when you grind the dal use very little water to make a fine paste.
Beat the ground lentil batter well to incorporate air and the vadas should be fried in medium hot oil.