Tikhat mithachi puri is a marathi name meaning hot and savory puri. You can have this tikhat mithachi puri with Shengadana / groundnut chutney or pickle as an evening snack or as a Brunch.
Wheat flour - 4 cups
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Carom Seeds / Ajwain – ½ tsp
Sugar – ¼ tsp
Salt – As per taste
Hot oil - 2 tbsp
Oil for frying
1) Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl except the oil.
2) Heat 2 tbsp oil and add hot oil to above mixture.
3) Knead to a hard dough with water.
4) Keep aside for 20 minutes.
5) Make a lemon size balls of this dough and roll out on a lightly oiled surface into a 3-4 inch round puri.
6) Heat oil in wok / Kadai and when it is hot,slide one puri in from the side.Press down with the slotted spoon to allow it rise completely and then turn over and cook the other side until the puri is puffed and golden on both sides.
7) Drain well on an absorbent paper or kitchen towel.
8) Serve hot puris with shengadana/groundnut chutney or pickle or any chutney. It tastes very good with afternoon tea also.