Sundal /Chundal is a popular prasadam/offering for navratri in the south. Any kind of pulses can be used to make sundal. The basic recipe is the same. Yesterday , I made Sundal with green peas.
Fresh Green Peas / Dry Green Peas / Pachai Pattani – 1 cup (If dry soaked overnight)
Grated Fresh coconut – 1 tbsp
Red chillies – 3-4
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Fresh curry leaves – 6 nos
Asafoetida / Hing – 1/8 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Coriander - Finely chopped to Garnish
1) Soak the peas for about 7 to 8 hours if you are using dry peas.If you are using fresh peas then directly cook.
2) Pressure cook upto 1 whistle and switch off the stove adding enough salt and water . Don't over cook otherwise it will get mushy. Drain the excess water.
3) Heat oil in the pan. Add mustard seeds ,urad dal and Cumin seeds. Allow the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to splutter. Add the red chillies, curry leaves and hing.
4) Then add the cooked peas and season it for 5 minutes then add the freshly grated coconut. Season it for 3 more minutes.Mix well .Switch off the stove.
5) Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Delicious Green Peas sundal is ready.