Navaratna Kurma is a delicious combination of several vegetables,nuts and fruits in a creamy sauce. This dish is a combination of flavour, richness & simplicity.. It is often served in Indian restaurants.
* 2 1/2 cups chopped vegetables (cauliflower, green peas, carrot, green beans, red bell pepper)
* 1/2 cup chopped fried paneer
* 2 onions chopped
* 3 tomatoes pureed
* 3 tablespoons oil
* 2 slices Pineapple Chunks
* 1 small apple
* Pinch of asafetida (hing)
* 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
* 1 seeded finely chopped green chili
* 1 tbsp shredded ginger
* 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
* 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania)
* 1/4 tsp turmeric Haldi)
* 1 tsp Red chilli powder
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 cup Cashewnuts
* 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
* 2 tbsp Raisins
* 2 cups milk
* 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
* Salt to taste
1. Mix the shredded ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, and Red chilli powder, Salt with 2 tablespoons of water and set aside.
2. Blend 1/4 cup cashew nuts with 1-cup milk and keep aside.
3. Chop all the fruits fine.
4. Heat the oil in a pan.
5. Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. After cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaves and onions .Fry till onions become translucent..
6. Now add Tomato Puree and the spice mixture. Fry for a few seconds until the spices start separating from the oil.
7. Add the cauliflower, green peas, carrot and green beans. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the vegetables cook on medium heat for about 7 to 8 minutes. The vegetables should be cooked just about half way.
8. Add the bell pepper and paneer and dry fruits ,Fruits. Mix well. Add the Cashew-milk paste and cook until the vegetables are tender and gravy becomes thick. Add more milk if needed for more gravy.
9.Turn off the heat. Mix in the garam masala, Kasoori Methi .
10. Place the vegetable korma in a serving dish and garnish with chopped cilantro.
11. Korma can be served with Roti ,Chapati ,Naan.
Enjoy an exotic curry!
Substitutions and Variations:
1. Substitute any vegetable, for example potatoes, cabbage, corn, and mushrooms or other vegetables.
2. Tofu can be used instead of paneer.
3. For the gravy, you may replace 1-cup milk with 3/4 cups cream for a richer texture.
This is reaching Side Dish For Chapati Event started by Viki.