Dhokla is a vegetarian and healthy snack that originates from Gujarat..There are many versions of Dhokla like Khaman Dhokla, Sooji (Rava) Dhokla, Khatta Dhokla, , Moong dal Dhokla... Moong dal Dhokla is considered to be a good source of protein and easy on the stomach is healthy and popular snack. This soft and steamed snack is nutritious and very easy to make.Serve it with Green chutney or Tomato Sauce and relish it .Kids will definitely love it...
Makes 3 servings
Moong Dal / Split yellow Gram - 3/4 cup
Dahi / Curd - 2 tbsp
Besan / Chick pea Flour - 1 tbsp
Green chilies - 3 (paste)
Haldi / Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
A pinch asafoetida / hing
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1tsp
Fruit Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
For Seasoning :-
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai )
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
4 slit green chilies
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1) Wash and soak moong dal for 2-3 hrs.Rinse and drain the excess water.
2) Grind soaked moong dal with green chilies to a fine batter.
3) Transfer the Moong dal paste to a bowl, add the salt, sugar, asafoetida, oil, turmeric powder, besan ,curd and mix well to make a batter.The batter consistency would be some what similar to idli batter.
4) Just before steaming add eno or fruit salt to it and mix lightly.The batter would be frothy.
5) Immediately pour the batter into a greased flat steel vessel or dhokla container to 1 inch thickness and steam it for 10-12 mins or till the dhoklas are cooked. .You can use my pressure cooker to steam it and remove the whistle from it. Keep it aside.
6) Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
7) When the mustard seeds crackle, add the slit green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds. 8) Add asafoetida and sauté for 30 seconds then switch off the stove.
9) Pour the seasoning over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly.
10) Sprinkle the finely chopped coriander on top.
11) Run a sharp knife in the edges of the dhokla and cut it into squares or triangle shape.
12) Serve hot with green chutney or tomato sauce.