Coconut rice is a typical South Indian dish that is very easy and fast to cook . Cooked rice with grated coconut and some spices makes taste of this dish Heavenly.
2 cups rice (cooked such that grains are separated )
2 cups freshly grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp channa dal /Bengal gram
1 tbsp urad dal /split black gram
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 leaf curry leaves
2 green chillies ( slited)
4 Dry red chillies
1/ 4tsp hing / asafoetida
1/2 cup cashewnuts
salt to taste
1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1) First cook the rice .Each Grain should be separate. I used the proportion Rice: Water as 1:2
2) Heat ghee in a pan or non stick pan.Add mustard seeds ,cumin seeds and saute till they crackle.Now add the channna dal / bengal gram,urad dal /split black gram ,Red chillies,green chillies, curry leaves cashew nuts and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes,while stirring continously.
3) Then add the freshly grated coconut and salt.Gently stir.Mix well.
4) Then add the cooked rice and fry for 2-3 minutes ..Stir well and adjust the salt if required and switch off the stove..
5) Serve hot with any roasts or gravy curry.
While cooking rice add a teaspoon of oil so that grains are separated.
You can use Coconut milk also to prepare coconut rice.
You can use coconut powder plus water as a substitute to freshly grated coconut.