Alasanda (black-eyed peas) vada is a Raayalaseema specialty. Alasandalu are also called as Bobbarlu / lobia / vella payuru / karamani /cow pea/white kidney bean/black eyed pea in different parts of India . They are packed with a lot of protein, dietary fibre and nutrition.These Fritters are also one of my family's all time favorites.They taste great .
2 cups Alasandulu / Black eyed Peas (soaked in water for5-6 hours,drained)
1 big Onion finely chopped
5 green chillies chopped
1 inch ginger Peeled and chopped
5-6 Curry Leaves
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
1) Soak black-eyed peas (Alasandalu) in water for 5-6 hours. They expand in water, so choose a big vessel for soaking. Then, drain the water.
2) Grind the soaked and drained black eyed peas,ginger,green chillies,curry leaves ,salt to a coarse paste in food processor or blender without adding water (if at all it is difficult to grind, add very little water).
3) Now add the chopped onions and grind for 2 sec. Dont grind them for long.The batter must be solid.
4) Remove the batter in the vessel.Mix well.
5) Take some of this mixture to form a lemon sized ball. Flatten it on your palm or greased plastic sheet to make a patti shape. Prepare patties with the rest of the mixture.
6) Heat oil for deep frying. Once its piping hot, reduce flame to medium and place these patties in the oil and fry them to a golden brown color for 5-10 minutes.
Serve hot with tomato sauce or any chutney of your choice.
Source ~ MIL