A sweet ,sour and spicy rasam , the Pineapple rasam tastes amazing when served with hot rice and papads. The chopped pineapple pieces bring a delectable sweetness to this tangy and spicy rasam .This is kind of festive rasam.
* 1/4 cup pineapple puree
* 1/2 cup Tur dal / Red gram dal /Kandi Pappu
* 1 tomato chopped
* 1/4 tsp of turmeric
* 1 1/2 tbsp Rasam powder (as required according to your taste)
* 3 to 4 sprigs of coriander leaves
* 1/2 tsp Jaggery or sugar
* salt to taste
* 2 green chillies , slit
* 2 pineapple slices, cut into pieces
* 1 tsp of oil or Ghee / Clarified butter
* 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
* 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
* A pinch asafoetida /hing
* 1 sprig of curry leaves
1. Pressure cook tur dal with turmeric with 2 cups of water till soft and keep aside.
2. Heat a deep pan / vessel , add 3 1/2 cups of water, mashed dal, chopped tomato,chopped pineapple pieces, salt, turmeric powder, slit green chillies, jaggery and rasam powder and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5-8 mins, till the pineapple pieces are cooked.
3. Add pineapple puree and continue to cook on low flame for 2-3 mins, so that the pineapple absorbs the spices in the rasam.
4. Meanwhile in a small pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add cumin seeds,hing, curry leaves and stir fry for a second.Turn off heat.
5.Add this to the rasam and combine.Garnishing with chopped coriander allow it to stay on the stove for another 2 minutes. Turn off the stove and place the lid.
6. Serve with rice and a dollop of ghee and appadams or drink it just like that.
I have mentioned about Rasam Powder, you can use even the store bought ones available in Indian shops.