Poppy seeds are great sources of taste as well as good health .They are a very good source of calcium and acts as cooling agent. Poppy seeds protects heart against cardiovascular diseases. Poppy seeds with sugar can be taken to cure insomnia. This Payasam /kheer is good for mouth blisters, cools the system and induces sound sleep.
Khus Khus / Poppy Seeds / Gasagasalu- 1/2 cup
Badam / Almonds - 10
Kaju / Cashew - 10
Copra / Dessicated coconut - 1/4 cup
Elachi /Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar / Jaggery - 1 Cup
Milk - 1 1/2 cup
Saffron - a pinch
Edible camphor - pepper size grain (Optional)
* Soak khus khus, badam and kaju overnight in water.
* Add copra and grind them to a fine paste.
* Add 2 tbsp cold milk & grind very fine.
* Boil milk.
* After it boils, add the paste, stirring well to prevent lump formation.
* When it starts boiling, simmer for 10 mins for the khus khus to cook well.
* Keep the flame low, add sugar, cardamom powder & edible camphor if using.
* After sugar dissolves completely mix well then add milk with saffron before removing from the fire.
* Garnish with roasted nuts and raisins .
* Khus Khus kheer is ready! Serve it either hot or cold.