Mango rice is a Rice mixed with grated raw mango is specifically prepared on “Ugadi” - The Telugu New Year .It is simple, easy and fast to make and tasty to eat.
2 cups Cooked white rice (each grain should be separate)
3 cups Grated raw green mangoes (peel skin) Adjust according to your taste
2 tbsps Peanuts
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Chana dal / Bengal gram dal
1 tbsp Urad dal / Split black gram dal
3-4 dry red chillis
6-8 slit green chillis
1/4 tsp asafoetida (Hing)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
15-20 curry leaves
1) Peel the skin and grate the raw mango.Measurement is: 1 cup raw rice - 1½ cups grated mango to 2 cups. (Adjust the quantity to suit your tangy flavor.). Add turmeric to the grated mango.
2) Cook the rice (preferably ‘Sona Masuri’).Each grain should be separate.Cool the rice in a wide plate so that the rice doesn’t stick together.
3) Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add cumin seeds , peanuts ,chana dal and urad dal and let them turn red on medium heat. Now add the red chillis, green chillis, curry leaves and asafoetida. Toss them for a few seconds.Turn off heat and keep aside.
4) Spread the cooked white rice on a wide plate, sprinkle salt , add grated mango with turmeric and add the tempering and use your hand or big spoon to combine well till the tempering is well blended with the rice. Adjust salt.
5) Serve hot with vadiyalu, perugu or pachadi of your choice.
Easy to make and delicious to eat... Enjoy !!!