Thandai is a wonderful cold refreshing and healthy flavored milk that is traditionally prepared during the Holi festival (festival of colors). When people become a little exhausted after playing exciting yet tiresome holi a glass of Thandai offers instant energy and cools the body.
Almonds- 1/4 cup
Blanched Melon Seeds( Magaz) - 1 tbsp.
Soaked Poppy Seeds (Khus Khus) – 2 tbsp
Whole Fat Milk – 500 ml.
Peppercorns – 3
Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – ½ tsp.
Cardamom (Elaichi) - 2
Sugar – 150 gm.
Rose water – 1 tsp
Saffron Strands -Few
Some slivered pistachios and a few saffron strands for garnishing
1) Heat the milk ,then add sugar.
2) Stir it till sugar dissolves completely and remove from flame.
3) Add Saffron Strands.
4) Allow the milk to cool to room temperature.
5) Blend almonds, melon seeds, Soaked poppy seeds to a smooth paste.
6) Grind the fennel seeds, pepper corns and cardamom into fine powder.
7) Add the powder ,paste to the boiled milk.Mix well.
8) Refrigrate it for 2-3 hours.This allows the flavours to infuse into the milk.
9) Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and discard the solids.
10) Add rose water and Mix well.
11) Serve Chilled after granishing with Silvered pistachios and saffron strands.
12) Lip Smacking Thandai is ready:)
Tip:- You can also use 1/4 cup dried or fresh rose petals or gulkand variety rose petals too.