Poha or Atukulu or Rice flakes or Beaten Rice is used widely in Indian homes.Atukula Pulihora is very simple ,easy and quick to make.It tastes very delicious and awesome.My mom makes the best Atukula pulihora . We make it frequently at home. It can be eaten as Breakfast /Brunch /Tiffin.Its a great picnic meal too.
Beaten rice (hard variety) / Atukula / Poha (Jada) – 2 cups
Tamarind – small lime size ball
Salt – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Cooking oil – 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Spilt Black gram dal /urad dal – 1 tsp
Bengal gram dal /chana dal – 1 tsp
Ground nuts - 2 tbsps
Dry Red chillies – 2
Hing a pinch
Curry leaves – a few
Coriander for garnishing
1. Wash the Beaten rice /Poha/ Atakulu 2 times and drain out the excess water.
2. Soak tamarind in enough warm water and extract the pulp to make 1.5 cups.
3. Add salt,turmeric, red chilli powder and powdered jaggery to tamarind juice.
4. Soak washed beaten rice in the prepared tamarind juice mixture for 15 minutes or until it absorbs all the liquid and the flakes become soft, fluffy and separate.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds , when the mustard seeds splutter, add urad dhal ,chana dal and chopped green chillies fry for 1 minute.
6. Then add groundnuts when they fry add red chillies and curry leaves and hing.
7. Then Add the soaked beaten rice / atukulu, and well blend with the seasonings.
8. Cover and cook for 8 minutes on low heat.
9. Switch off the flame and garnish with choped coriander.
10. Lip Smacking Atukula Pulihora is ready to serve.