Pulusu means "Puli".Tamarind sauce in which you can cook variety of dishes.Coming to the pulusu any and every vegetable can be the main ingredient of it. Taro root is also called as Colcasia / Arbi/ Chammagadda /Chembu .A starchy, potato-like tuber with a brown, fibrous skin and gray-white (sometimes purple-tinged) flesh.Taro root may be prepared in a variety of ways including boiling, frying , baking ,in Plusu etc.Although rich in carbohydrates and a bit fattening, it is many people's favorite. Its our family's favorite too.
Taro Root /Colcasia /Arbi /Chammagadda / Chembu - 1/2 kg
Tamarind -Small lemon size
Red Chillies - 3
Onion - 1 big
Fenugreek Seeds - A Pinch
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli - 1 chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/ 4 tsp
Hing / Asoeftida - A Pinch
Curry Leaves - Few
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder -1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Khas Khas & Coconut paste - 2 tsp
Jaggery /Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
1) Soak Tamarind in water for some time and extract the juice by separating the pulp and keep it aside.
2) Boil the Taro root or Pressure cook for 1 whistle ,peel off the skin and then cut them into medium size pieces and keep it aside.
3) Heat oil in deep pan add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, Cumin seeds. After mustard seeds splutter add red chillies and hing.
4) Then add curry leaveds, chopped onions and some salt.When onions turn traparent add chopped green chiili and ginger garlic paste.Fry ntil rawness of paste is gone.
5) After that add turmeric, red chilli powder,coriander powder, khas khas and coconut paste ,tamarind juice and jaggery. Add little bit of water and cover the pan. Cook it for 10 mins.
6) Add Taro roots and mix well. Adjust the seasoning.Cover it and bring it to boil on low flame for 10 mins.
7) When the pulusu becomes bit thick garnish with coriander leaves.
8) Serve with hot rice and vadiyam or Papad.
Don't over cook taro root otherwise it will become mushy.
Don't cut Taro root into small pieces.
Leave the sauce little thinner as it becomes thick after some time.