Sandwiches are fulfilling,tasty,healthy ,tempting and easy to make.These are very common and very popular street food. They are a simple pair of bread slices with an imaginative filling of your choice !!!Here I have Veg chutney sandwich with addition of some vegetables to it .what adds spice to the veg chutney sandwich is the spicy green chutney, and chaat masala. You can also pack sandwiches for tiffin box or for a short picnics.
Bread slices – 10-12 (white or brown bread)
Finely chopped cucumber – 1
Finely chopped onion – 1 (medium)
Finely chopped Tomato -1 (medium)
Butter – 2-3 tbsp or as needed (softened at room temperature)
Chaat masala as required
Roasted Cumin Powder as required (optional)
Black salt to taste( optional)
Tomato Ketchup or sauce as required
For Green ( mint cilantro) chutney:
Chopped Coriander leaves - 1 Cup
Chopped Mint leaves - 2 Cups
Green chillies - 5-6
Ginger - 1/4 inch
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Water -2 -3 tbsp
For Green Chutney
1. First Pluck ,wash and then chop coriander and mint.
2. Combine all the ingredients except lemon jice and grind to a smooth paste in a blender using very little water.
3. Then add lemon juice . Mix well.
4. Refrigerate and use as required.
Assembling the Bombay sandwich:
1) Trim the slices of the bread(optional)
2) Keep the green chutney ready The chutney should not be watery, otherwise if will soften up the bread.
3) Evenly spread the green chutney on one slice of bread.
4) Then Evenly spread tomato sauce on another slice of bread.
5) Top up with chopped cucumber ,tomato and onion on one slice.
6) Sprinkle the black salt and chaat masala on them .
7) Cover it with other slice of bread.
8) Spread the butter on either side of the bread.
9) Toast it on tawa or griddle or sandwich maker.
10) Cut it according to your choice, serve it hot with tomato ketchup.
11) Repeat the process for remaining bread slices.
Yummmmmy Bombay Sandwiches are ready !!!!
The Green chutney can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge. This chutney is multi purpose. you can add it to your sandwiches or have it with your pakoras or chaat.
You could add some sweet tamarind chutney also. It lends a unique flavor to the sandwiches.
Skip the butter for a Vegan sandwich