This is another special sweet made for Sankranti.This sweet is prepared from Til (sesame) and Gul (jaggery) which warms your body.we use special Jaggery which is called 'Chikkicha Gul in Marathi to make this sweet..
Sesame Seeds (Til) - 1 cup
Jaggery (chikkicha Gul) - 1 cup
Groundnut Powder - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Dry Grated Coconut -2 Tbsp (Optional)
1) First dry Roast sesame seeds ,grated dry coconut and groundnuts in a pan/kadai on low flame each separately. Roast till it gets golden brown.
2) Remove them in different plates and keep it aside.
3) Grind the groundnuts into a powder.
4) Grease rolling pin , knife and some surface of kitchen platform or glass cutting board or cookie sheet or foil paper with little ghee.
4) Take shreeded jaggery in a pan /kadhai. Put pan /kadhai on gas.Add small amount of ghee.Stir it. Jaggery will start melting. Boil it till it becomes little thick. Take water in a bowl for test.Put one drop of the hot solution in the water.You must hear a good sound.("toung" sound) then it implies the jaggery is of the right consistency. Then sim the stove and add roasted sesame seeds,roasted dry coconut and roasted groundnut powder.Immediately switch off stove and Mix it well.
5) Immediately pour the mixture on the greased surface and roll it and flatten it (this action should be very fast else the mixture will become dry and hard after some time).
6) Cut it in squares immediately before it cools.
7) When it get cool later separate the vadi and store it in airtight container.
1) As jaggery immediately becomes hard very quickly, you have to make this vadi in small quantity at a time.
2) The way this turns out depends a lot on what kind of jaggery you use.If you use chikki gul then it will turn perfect.