Curd rice or Daddojanam is a famous rice dish in Andhra.Every south Indian lunch and dinner ends with curd rice.Daddojanam is commonly made prasadam during festivals and also at temples.Curd rice and pickle is the best combo one can have on a hot summer afternoon lunch. In summer season this dish tastes very delicious.It makes a good picnic dish too.
Cooked rice - 1 cup
Yogurt/Curds - 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
salt - as required
Curry leaves -Few
Asafoetida powder -a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Black gram (Urad Dal) - 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram (Chana Dal) - 1 tbsp
Green chillis - 2 (finely chopped)
Red Chillies -1
Ginger - 1/2 tbsp (finely chopped)
1) Take cooked rice And add the salt and mash the rice .
2) Mix curd and milk and keep aside.
3) Heat oil in a pan add cashews and fry till golden colour and keep it aside.Then add the mustard seeds, when it pops, add the cumin seeds,urad dal,chana dal,red chilli,green chillies,Asafoetida ,curry leaves and finely chopped ginger. When the dal turns golden brown add the seasoning to the curd mixture.
4) Now add the curd mixture and cashews to the rice and mix well.
5) Serve with pickle of your choice.
Enjoy the delicious curd rice.
Note:- If we prepare curd rice with only curd , it may turn sour after some hour but adding milk to the curd makes it delicious and stay as it is for longer time.
1. Curd rice with fruits: To the curd rice mix in finely diced apples, pomegranate seeds , seedless small grapes.
2. Curd rice with Vegetables: To the curd rice mix in grated carrot and grated or finely chopped cucumber. Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
3. If you have enough time, mix 2 cups of milk for one cup of cooked rice and a spoon of curd & keep it aside for 4- 5 hrs. Then do the seasoning and serve.