Bitter Gourd is very healthy due to its disease preventing properties.Bitter Gourd is very low in calories . The pods are rich in phytonutrients like dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. It is responsible for reduction of blood sugar levels in the treatment of type-2 diabetes.
* 2 medium sized bitter gourds(kakarakaya/ karelas)
* 2 medium onions,chopped
* salt to taste
* 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
* 1 tsp red chilli powder
* 1 tbsp oil
* 2 tsps Spicy Roasted Chickpea Powder
* 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
* Few curry leaves
* Clean the bitter gourds(kakarakaya) and drain them.
* Peel off the skin( run the peeler just once ) and slice into rounds.
* Add turmeric and salt to kakara kaya pieces and mix well and keep aside for 15 mins.
* Squeeze the kakarkaya pieces to remove water and drain them on kitchen towel or paper towels( doing this will remove the bitterness by half )
* Heat kadai/ pan with oil and add the mustard seeds and when they start to pop add the curry leaves.
* Add the sliced kakarakaya ( bitter gourd ) pieces and fry stirring Constantly.When they are little brown add the finely chopped onions and fry until done.Constantly stir fry on medium heat ensuring they don’t burn or stick to the pan. Keep frying till they are well roasted and this could take about 15-18 mins.
* Add salt , red chilli powder,Spicy Roasted Chickpea Powder and mix well.
* Cook for 2 more mins until done.
* Serve it with Sambhar or Dal with hot hot Rice .