Spinach Dal is very flavorful ,tasty and healthy dal.Spinach and garlic make a great combination and makes this dal unique.This easy-to-make dish is a super health-booster, too.Traditionally it is served with hot rice, ghee and mango pickle for great satisfying meal.
Spinach / Palak - 1 bunch
Toor dal - 1 cup
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Dried Red chillies -4
Oil - 1 tbsp
Tamarind Paste / juice - 4 to 5 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves - 5
Hing - A pinch
Curry leaves -Few
Salt - to taste
1. First wash and pluck the spinach leaves Then chop it .
2. Soak Lime sized tamarind in water for juice.
3. Wash and pressure cook dal with chopped spinach in 3 cups of water till 3 whistles .
4. When the pressure is released,remove the lid.
5. Mash the dal to smooth paste using wooden masher and keep it aside.
6. Heat oil in a Pan add crushed garlic cloves and saute them until golden .Take care not to burn.
7. Heat oil in pan add mustard seeds,jeera,red chillies,curry leaves ,hing and fry them . .
8. Now to mashed dal add sauted garlic ,tamarind juice / paste ,red chilli powder,turmeric,salt to taste.
9. Stir well and if the dal is too tight add half cup of water. Mix well and cook in low heat with lid covered for 5 -10 minutes.
10. Serve hot with rice,ghee and mango pickle. It can also be served with rotis and chapatis.