Raw Rice -2 cups
Moong Dal (yellow or green) - 1 cup
Water - 12 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup
Hing powder -Half tsp
Cumin Seeds- one or two tsp
Black pepper- 5-6
Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts-10 no
Ginger- 1 inch piece
Turmeric powder- half tsp (optional, if you like the colour)
Clarified Butter or liquified Ghee- four tbsp
Curry Leaves- 10 no (optional)
Salt- to taste
1. Heat Kadai. Dry roast rice and moong dal till they turn hot to touch.
2. Transfer the rice and dal to a container and wash three times in fresh water.
3. Add water four times the quantity of rice and dal and add milk,salt,turmeric powder.
4. Pressure cook for four whistles.
5. Chop the ginger finely and keep aside.
6. Add one table spoon of ghee in the kadai and roast the cashew nuts (halved) till they turn light brown.
7. Add Cumin seeds ,ginger, black pepper ,black peeper powder , hing powder and curry leaves and roast for a minute.
8. Take out the cooked rice and dal mix and mash well using a masher.
9. Add the seasoning to cooked rice and dal and mix well with remaining ghee.
11. Rice Pongal is ready and can be served with coconut chutney.
This is my contribution for WBB-Combi Breakfasts hosted by Masala Magic