Everybody loves Paneer Makhani very much but here is a healthy alternative with Tofu which tastes delicious .Even the non-tofu-lovers will also start loving it.
Tofu, made from soybean curds, is naturally gluten-free and low calorie, contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of protein, iron, and calcium. It is an important source of protein especially for vegans and vegetarians. Since it is Low in calorie so it is Diabetic Friendly Recipe.
For the marinated tofu:
2 cups extra-firm tofu
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste
For the Makhani Gravy:
1 medium onion, (paste)
2 large tomatoes, (paste)
1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
2 Green chillies (paste)
2 green cardamom pods
1-inch piece of cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp Ginger -Garlic Paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves crushed between palms)
2 cups vegetable stock, or (use water if you don't have this)
10 cashew nuts powder
1/4 tsp Sugar or sugar substitute
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
To prepare the Marinated tofu:
1) Pat the tofu dry with few paper towels. Cut to cube size pieces .
2) Mix all the ingredients coriander powder,cumin powder,turmeric powder ,red chilli powder, salt,oil,lemon juice.
3) Now in this marinade mix the tofu pieces and set aside for about half an hour.
4) Heat a non stick pan or griddle and smear the oil evenly on it. Place the tofu cubes on the pan and fry until golden-brown on each side,
5) Remove to a plate and set aside.
To make the Makhani gravy
1) Heat the oil in a non stick pan. Add the cumin seeds, and when they splutter add cloves,cardamom, peppercorns and cinnamon. Saute for a minute over medium heat.
2) Add the onions paste and a little salt and saute till transulent.
3) Add the tomato paste ,chilli paste,ginger and garlic paste, and saute for another minute.
4) Then add coriander powder, turmeric powder ,chilli powder ,sugar and kasuri methi . Mix it well and cook on medium flame for about four minutes stirring in between until the gravy starts leaving the oil.
5) Add some water or vegetable stock and continue cooking.
7) Adjust the gravy to your liking if needed add little more water, and cook. Turn off the heat.
8) Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
9) Serve hot with naan,chapati, roti, phulka, flavored rice ,or plain rice