This is a traditional recipe which is prepared only in few house holds of Andhra ,so many people might not be aware of this dish.This is a all time favorite breakfast made at our place and especially my husband likes it so I make it quite frequently.Even though the recipe sounds so simple,the preparation is bit time consuming but it tastes very delicious....Do give a try once,you will definitely like it.
1 cup Rice Rava / Biyyapu rava
1/4 Cup yellow Mung dal/ pesara pappu /Green gram (soak for at least 20 mins)
3 cups Water
2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Preparing Rice Rava at home:-
Wash raw rice for 2-3 times then dry it completely.After that grind to coarse powder similar to sooji.Now a days rice rava is available in all the stores.So you can use that also.
1) Soak Mung dal in water for at least 2o minutes.
2) Heat about 2 tsps of oil in a nonstick pan and add cumin seeds. After Cumin seeds splutter Add 3 cups of water (1: 3; Rava: water ratio) in the pan and bring the water to a boil and add soaked mung dal ,salt and oil to it.
3) Once it starts boiling add rice rava to it and keep on stirring until it gets cooked and forms a lump.
4) Cook on medim heat until the mixture comes together and looks like upma.
5) Consistency should be neither too wet (if this is the case cook a little longer) nor too dry(add little more water).Now turn off the flame and close the lid.
6) Let the mixture cool for a while(not completely) until you can handle the mixture with your hand.
7) Grease your hands or plastic sheet with little oil and take some mixture and make it into a smooth round and flatten to 1/2 inch thickness like a round or oval patties and give a nice shape pressing at the edges.Do follow the same procedure to prepare the remaining ones.
8) Now on a thick bottomed pan / tava pour 2tbsp of oil(on a medium flame)and place the prepared tikki's on it and shallow fry both sides on medium flame applying oil on both sides until golden brown and crisp.This is bit time consuming as it takes more time to get golden browned on both sides on low flame .This should be roasted in such a way that when you try to tear a place it should split into two parts.
Serve it hot with Onion Chutney or Coconut Chutney.