Whenever idlis are left over then you can try this simple quick Idli Upma.It is simple but very satisfying.My Mom used to make this delicious dish for breakfast or evening tiffin and all of us would enjoy it. So,here is the simplest recipe for left over idlis.
6 left over idlis, crumbled
1 onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
pinch of asafoetida / Hing
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal/ minappa pappu
few curry leaves
salt to taste
chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1 tbsp oil
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1) Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add cumin seeds , urad dal and let it turn red. Add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2) Add chopped onions and saute till they turn transparent. Tip (Add little bit of salt so that onions cook quickly).
3) Add the chopped green chillies and fry for a minute then add crumbled idlis and mix well. Cook for 5 mins.
4) Adjust salt (Idlis will have salt, so be careful while adding salt)..Turn off the heat.Pour lime juice over the idli upma and mix well.
5) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.