Jowar Bhakri is nutritious and high in protein content. It is also very easy to digest. Doctors now-a-days recommend Bhakri to be included in your diet.Pithla Bhakri is called as Farmer's meal or poor man's meal in Maharashtra. But because of it's awesome taste and simplicity it got popular among all Maharashtrian households. Pithla, Bhakri and Thecha served with Green chillies and Raw onion make a fabulous combination.
2 cups Fresh Jowar Flour
Salt as per taste
Warm Water to knead.
1) Make dough for one Bhakri at a time. Don’t knead the entire dough.
So for your first Bhakri take about a cup of Jowar flour and add salt to it.
2) Gradually add warm water and knead it into soft pliable dough. . So using your hand knead the dough well for 5 minutes. If the dough is not kneaded well, the bhakris will develop cracks at corners.
3) Take a small round ball from the dough and flatten it with both your hands.
4) On a flat surface or large flat plate sprinkle some dry jowar flour, keep the flat ball on it, apply some Jowar flour to your hand and with the palm of your hand spread the dough into a thin circle. Take care that the dough does not stick at the bottom and should move freely with your hands.Use flour as required.
5) When the bhakri is ready, lift it on both palms and place the bahkri on tava / hot girdle prepared from iron.
6) Now lower the heat and take some water in hand.
7) Spread a little water with your hands on the surface of the Bhakri.
8) Now raise the heat to medium. When this water starts drying, turn the bhakri to cook the other side .
9) Cook on high flame till some brown spots appear on the lower surface of the Bhakri.
10) Remove it from the tava , turn it upside down and gently put it directly on the flame. It should puff up.
11) Remove from flame and serve hot.
12) Serve hot with Pithla, onions, green chillies, and buttermilk.
The flour has to be very fresh or else the Bhakri will crack .
The process of kneading the dough is quite important. Bhakris will be soft and will not crack at the corners if the dough is well kneaded.